Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Topic author was deleted

Sep 18, 2020 @ 11:08

Communtity driven #umbraco v8 starter kit

Hey,

Like mentioned on twitter: https://twitter.com/timgeyssens/status/1306905113257218050

How about we set up a communtity driven #umbraco v8 starter kit (as part of #hacktoberfest2020)? First discus the techniques to use and then build toghter, since most folks have implementation knowledge (front and/or back) but not package one...#thoughts?

The repo has been created: https://github.com/TimGeyssens/Umbraco-v8-Community-Website-StarterKit (can transfer and add owners)

Also requested the discussions feature on github so we can have it on a single platform.

So what would we need to discuss? Project setup? Web project, Core project, ... Setup doctypes,datatypes (which ones make sense, a fixed setup or a versatile UNO approach)? Which frontend (framework) to use? Setting up the backend code, modelsbuilder, unit testing... Adding examples of other stuff like custom extensions Have headless endpoints and also an example of how to use that? Add third party packages? How to document? How to keep up to date? How to package it up?

Maybe we can use this thread to make a list of things to discuss, add ideas... and once the discussion feature is available on github we can add them over there...

Cheers, Tim

• Carl Sargunar 69 posts 91 karma points MVP 3x
    Sep 18, 2020 @ 11:19
    Carl Sargunar

I'm up for contributing to this outside of work time. This is just a placeholder until I get more time to consider a reply, but just expressing my interest

• Søren Kottal 702 posts 4497 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Sep 18, 2020 @ 13:36
    Søren Kottal

It would be good to include some of the most typical types of pages on a website, thinking the following:

• news section / blog
    • team page
    • contact page with a form (using Forms, but unlicensed of course)
    • products list

One thing that probably is going to be hot potato, is how to structure the content. I always use the "ultimate" site structure coined by Sebastiaan.

I thing the setup should be somewhat fixed, I don't think it should be as generic as Uno, but a collection of available blocks would be preferable. Could take inspiration from UI kits like TailwindUI, bootstrap etc.

For frontend framework, it should be something that is easy to customize and extend (TailwindCSS), or something broadly used like Bootstrap.

• Comment author was deleted

Sep 18, 2020 @ 13:59

cool, not sold on forms, think we can just add an example of surface controller... yes tailwind! But we can discuss with rest of community what would be best, thanks for the ideas so far :)

Sep 18, 2020 @ 14:17

and should it be an installable starter website package... or just a project that can be used as inspiration... to see the best practices in action using specific case....

I vote inspiration project... since there are already starter kits around and chances are folks still want their own way of doing stuff (like frontend choosing framework)

Maybe a site for a fictional real estate agency...

With of course a full site and then also a headless spinoff (maybe a sort of notification if new houses are being sold in your area of interest you can get a push notification from a pwa style app)

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Sep 18, 2020 @ 14:19
    Dave Woestenborghs

Maybe better first decide on the purporse of the starter kit.

Will it be to show people the basic concepts of Umbraco. How datatypes, doctypes and templates all work together to build web pages.

Or is it a framework you can use to start building sites on, something like https://our.umbraco.com/packages/developer-tools/hybrid-framework-for-umbraco-v7/

If it's the latter what will be considered best practices. Some people would require to have DI in place. While others will get lost when you start using DI, because they are not C# developers and never heard about the concept.

I always liked the Hybrid framework. It shows some more advanced techniques. But I never used as base for my projects. I only took the concepts I liked. I saw it more as a learning resource.

dave

Sep 18, 2020 @ 14:30

Yes I agree, would tend to go the hybrid framework route... folks can then just pick the bits they like...

Uno is for the no code approach, other simple starter kits are already available...

Sep 22, 2020 @ 15:23
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft