Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Beni 2 posts 72 karma points
    Sep 29, 2020 @ 05:20
    Beni

Transfert site from Local to new server

Hi, I try to tranfer my Umbraco site from Localhost to external server but it's not working. I have change the DB access in webconfig. I have delete all cache files. All files and DB is full access. Then I enter in the site, the PoolApp shut down. If I install the new umbraco in my server, all work fine. But my transfer doesn't work. Please help me.

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Sep 29, 2020 @ 07:22
    Steve Morgan

Hi Beni,

How did you build the site - via Visual Studio / VS Code or just with the installer and a local IIS?

What error are you seeing - have you tried turning the Custom Error in the web config on the server to Off

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" />

To

<customErrors mode="Off" />

Then you'll be able to see the error in the browser more clearly.

One thing to make sure of - if you backup the DB and deploy it to a different server, go in and delete the user in the DB's Security section and recreate it for that server. They don't restore as the same user even if the username and password match - Umbraco will never be able to connect to the DB successfully - alternatively update your server web.config to the sa account temporarily to rule this out.

Steve

• Beni 2 posts 72 karma points
    Sep 30, 2020 @ 05:20
    Beni

Thanks for your help. I installed the umbraco in VScode and run it by IIS LOCAL EXPRESS. When I dowloaded the package from the site, I don't run it in VS because there is no solution.

No matter the CustomError is OFF/RemoteOnly, when I running the site, the PoolApp is shut down and I get the "HTTP ERROR 503".

Do you have idea ? Thanks

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Sep 30, 2020 @ 09:52
    Steve Morgan

Hi Beni,

I don't use VS Code for anything other than a glorified notepad so I'm not sure how you'd publish / build from it to deploy.

I usually:

1. Create a Visual Studio solution
    2. Nuget Umbraco in
    3. Do my dev
    4. Build and publish (for simple sites just to a release folder and copy these up to the server) for complex sites you might handle the release as a pipeline task from your source repo / whatever.

You can probably follow the path above - just do the first 2 steps then point at your existing database in the installer (assuming you've used MS SQL Express) and then copy any views etc in from your old "solution".

I'm sure someone can advise how to do this from VS code though.

• Asembli 81 posts 255 karma points
    Sep 30, 2020 @ 21:32
    Asembli

Hi,

VS is not mandatory for running/transferring Umbraco from dev to prod. VS is needed if you want to add some custom code(behind) an build the solution. If you don't have solution (when you download Umbraco as zip) it's quite straightforward first to create an empty mvc solution in VS, then copy all the files inside solution folder and then include all files into solution (except maybe media, app_data, obj...) and (re)build the solution. I made quite some pages like that. No need to deal with packages and package dependencies.

For transfer from dev (working) to prod you just need to copy those files in zip + what was changed in bin folder after rebuild. Try compare files from dev with prod with eg. BeyondCompare. Sometimes I had problems with web.config while prod server add/change some settings (override from machine.config). I need then manually correct the web.config. Later then server leave this file alone. So try to check/compare if web.config's are the same (also you'll need to change settings like debug-mode and caching for production mode). Also to encourage you I'm making this all from Plesk panel (including DB settings)

Regards

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft