Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Armitage 505 posts 2073 karma points
    Oct 02, 2020 @ 07:10
    David Armitage

Umbraco 8 Nested Content with Multi Language Variants

Hi All,

I was trying to get get language variants working with Nested content and It doesn't looks like his can be enabled.

I have enabled in all place I can see but the trouble is I think the mean nested content data type does not have this variant setting to enable.

Is this not supported?

If not does anyone have any preferred way how they can get a nested content structure working with language variants?

enter image description here

Kind Regards

David

• Malthe Petersen 68 posts 383 karma points c-trib
    Oct 02, 2020 @ 14:29
    Malthe Petersen

Hi David.

You cannot make data types variants or not, it is only document types.

As far as I am concerned though, the element type, which is the document type format used for nested content, cannot be a variant as well. Only normal document types can be variant or not.

So make the document you use your nested content data type a variant and make sure that the property on the document type is also a variant, then everything should work as expected.

• David Armitage 505 posts 2073 karma points
    Oct 10, 2020 @ 02:37
    David Armitage

Hi All,

I never found a solution to get nested content working ok. I got some way but the issues I had were.

1. Previously I added a nested content data type through a composition. When I did this there was no checkbox to enable variants. I discovered later that if I added a nested content data type directly to a doc type them there were options to enable variants.

2. The big issue I later found though was simply Nested content works terrible with variants. It seems like it needs a little more work and I might revisit it in later versions of Umbraco 8. The big one for me was that when you switch languages in variants all the nested content is not copied across so you have to re-generate everything from scratch. Very time consuming. Especially in my case where 70% of the content will be exactly same since it was more for English speaking regional differences.

I decided to give this up and fall back to the old Umbraco 7 way of doing this. (multiple homepages). This way at least I can copy the whole page with the nested content then translate that.

I did consider a few other options that would work. I decided against them for this project...

1. Instead of nested content I could have had nested page nodes. If anyone has used uSkinned then exactly the same way they have done it. So when you add any page a folder is automatically generated as a child of that pages called 'Content Blocks'. You can then add your nested content here as child nodes. This would work very well for language variants but personally I love the nested content setup over this for user experience.

2. The other option is storing page 'content blocks' in a content repository folder in the website root. Then use a tree picker to select the content blocks. This sort of creates a similar kind of setup as a nested content data type. Personally i dont like this method. I think option 1 would create a much better experience.

It would be great to see Umbraco focus some extra hours to getting nested content tp play nice with language variants. Language variants is almost a perfect solution.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards

David

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft