Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lee Nightingale 2 posts 72 karma points
    Oct 06, 2020 @ 11:12
    Lee Nightingale

SQL lock request timeout

Hi We are currently using Umbraco for our self service portal.

We are currently experience lots of sql lock request errors :

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Lock request time out period exceeded

Users have to register and sign in to use the site so we have a lot of read/write to Members.

I have read various posts and we have added the following line to config and upgraded Umbraco to 8.6.5

Umbraco.Core.MainDom.Lock = SqlMainDomLock

Anyone sugestions?

Cheers

• lucuma 261 posts 563 karma points
    Nov 18, 2020 @ 15:47
    lucuma

Umbraco 8.9.

I am seeing tons of "Lock request time out period exceeded The statement has been terminated." when using Azure Web Apps and trying to publish descendants. There are a lot of publish issues with Umbraco when trying to publish more than one thing even with all the recommended Azure Web App settings.

• Simon steed 374 posts 686 karma points
    Jan 28, 2021 @ 11:54
    Simon steed

I've been getting this more and more since 8.9 and it's progressively getting worse (even after upgrading to 8.11 today). Setup is Dedicated server running SQL Server 2017 (so no azure).

Always happens after doing a few publish events (updating content) - only way to fix it is to restart SQL Server which is far from ideal, god knows how i'd do this if it was Azure.

Log entry:

2021-01-28 11:49:02,112 [P15776/D2/T17] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Editors.ContentController - Unhandled controller exception occurred for request 'http://site.com.local/umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoApi/Content/PostSave' System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Lock request time out period exceeded. The statement has been terminated. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action1 wrapCloseInAction) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString, Boolean isInternal, Boolean forDescribeParameterEncryption, Boolean shouldCacheForAlwaysEncrypted) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry, SqlDataReader ds, Boolean describeParameterEncryptionRequest) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, TaskCompletionSource1 completion, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(TaskCompletionSource1 completion, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe, Int32 timeout, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.FaultHandling.RetryPolicy.ExecuteAction[TResult](Func1 func) in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Persistence\FaultHandling\RetryPolicy.cs:line 172 at NPoco.Database.ExecuteNonQueryHelper(DbCommand cmd) at NPoco.Database.Execute(String sql, CommandType commandType, Object[] args) at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.SqlSyntax.SqlServerSyntaxProvider.WriteLock(IDatabase db, TimeSpan timeout, Int32[] lockIds) in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Persistence\SqlSyntax\SqlServerSyntaxProvider.cs:line 272 at Umbraco.Core.Services.Implement.ContentService.Save(IContent content, Int32 userId, Boolean raiseEvents) in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Services\Implement\ContentService.cs:line 782 at Umbraco.Web.Editors.ContentController.SaveAndNotify(ContentItemSave contentItem, Func2 saveMethod, Int32 variantCount, Dictionary2 notifications, SimpleNotificationModel globalNotifications, String invariantSavedLocalizationKey, String variantSavedLocalizationKey, String cultureForInvariantErrors, Boolean& wasCancelled) in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Web\Editors\ContentController.cs:line 924 at Umbraco.Web.Editors.ContentController.PostSaveInternal(ContentItemSave contentItem, Func2 saveMethod, Func2 mapToDisplay) in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Web\Editors\ContentController.cs:line 712 at lambdamethod(Closure , Object , Object[] ) at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>cDisplayClass62.

• Tim Mather 33 posts 136 karma points
    Apr 16, 2021 @ 09:30
    Tim Mather

@Umbraco people, what is happening with this, we have started seeing this happening on a number of sites using 8.6+ Essentially it is like the database is in single user mode, so if one person is deleting a node no one can do anything else. This needs sorted as sites are going live.

Apr 19, 2021 @ 11:47
    Tim Mather

@Umbraco people this needs looked at asap, we are seeing several clients with this problem that are not on azure and are running 8.6+ we have upgrade to 8.12 but that has not resolved the problem.

Similar problems: https://our.umbraco.com/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/102325-lock-request-time-out-period-exceeded

Apr 19, 2021 @ 11:51
    Apr 19, 2021 @ 12:00
    Simon steed

Have you reviewed the fix that was applied and configured the timeout value?

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/pull/9744

Apr 19, 2021 @ 12:10
    Tim Mather

Thanks for pointing that out Simon. Looking at that I have added the following to our web.config:

<add key="Umbraco.Core.SqlWriteLockTimeOut" value="5000" />

Hopefully that will help.

Apr 19, 2021 @ 12:12
    Simon steed

Cool - let us know how you get on. Since I originally reported it, i've had very few, if any recurrences of it, even though i'm still on 8.11.1 which is really bizarre!

Apr 19, 2021 @ 12:59
    Tim Mather

OK, we have already seen some odd results with timeout set at 5000. At one point all content on the front end of the site dissappeared and only re-appeared once republished or memory cache was reloaded.

Apr 19, 2021 @ 14:06
    Tim Mather

Problem has shifted some what but still recieving errors, customers reporting "impossible to use".

Apr 19, 2021 @ 14:08
    Simon steed

What is the setup of the site? Load balanced, multi server, db, azure etc?

• Lee Nightingale 2 posts 72 karma points
    Apr 19, 2021 @ 14:10
    Lee Nightingale

I have tried adding the writelocktimeout line in to config in the last hour. I will let you know if it makes any difference for me.

Apr 19, 2021 @ 14:11
    Tim Mather

Super simple, not load balanced, single server (same server for db and iis).

Apr 19, 2021 @ 14:18
    Simon steed

Not sure what to suggest tbh, can't get simpler than that. In my case, I'm running IIS on one server, Azure for DB and development is on another machine but shared db.

Could be worth re-opening that github issue and tagging in Shannon to see if he can shed any light on it

Apr 19, 2021 @ 14:43
    Tim Mather

Thanks, the problem isn't the same, we are seeing allsorts now, all seem related to caching, we have regenerated in memory cache 3 times now as we started seeing content dissappear without warning. I will re-open the GitHub issue.

• Francis Benyah 35 posts 111 karma points
    Aug 25, 2021 @ 13:52
    Francis Benyah

Hi All

Just my two cents on this issue seeing as I was one of the initial reporters of it on the github issue page.

So over the months for us and most people this solution when added to the web.config worked well and resulted in far less frequent occurrences of the issue

<add key="Umbraco.Core.MainDom.Lock" value="SqlMainDomLock" />
    <add key="Umbraco.Core.LocalTempStorage" value="EnvironmentTemp"/>
    <add key="Umbraco.Examine.LuceneDirectoryFactory" value="Examine.LuceneEngine.Directories.SyncTempEnvDirectoryFactory, Examine" />

If you are running on azure like most of our sites are then add this as well in the app services configuration

enter image description here

With our particular use case, we have external applications that can create content in umbraco via an api fairly straight forward stuff. However we also have a bunch of editors in different time zones that also create content. The bulk of new content is created or rather ingested via the api into umbraco.

What I noticed was that the lock would usually 90% of the time occur whenever the api was ingesting content while an editor was trying to also do something with content in umbraco (save, save and publish, delete etc)

I finally managed to get rid of the lock error eventually by changing the models builder mode from purelive to dll. This required me to first install the full models builder version in umbraco as it doesn't come with the full version any longer.

<add key="Umbraco.ModelsBuilder.Enable" value="true" /> 
    <add key="Umbraco.ModelsBuilder.ModelsMode" value="Dll" />

Once that was done I cleared the temp folder stuff in App_Data and restarted the site and that resolved the lock issue.

enter image description here

Another issue that resolved was the endless wait after making a change to a document type to save that change on said document type. I think this is most noticeable when you have a gazillion nodes that use that document type.

Anyway... I haven't gotten around to figuring out why though as yet but maybe give that a try.

Oh I must also say that disabling models builder all together didn't make a difference.

Another thing to note, I am not using the timeout setting as I believe that addresses something else completely

<add key="Umbraco.Core.SqlWriteLockTimeOut" value="5000" />

Umbraco versions : 8.7, 8.11, 8.15.2

Please also note that the causes of this are a bit complex and vary depending on the setup. Our setup is simple no load balancing (no other installations pointing to the same db). Take some time a read this thread here to get a better understanding of the causes and scenarios. https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/issues/8006#issuecomment-620328022

• Youngsan 7 posts 77 karma points
    Dec 13, 2021 @ 11:45
    Youngsan

I encountered the following issues in load-balanced environment ( 1 master and 2 front end in Umbraco 8.15.1 )

• NuCache.Content.db because it is being used by another process when restarting one of front ends

• Lock request time out when publishing contents in Umbraco back office.

I was able to resolve the issue by applying your solutions

• Umbraco.Core.MainDom.Lock" value="SqlMainDomLock"
    • WEBSITEDISABLEOVERLAPPED_RECYCLING

Thanks!

• OleP 67 posts 276 karma points
    Dec 14, 2021 @ 12:38
    OleP

Is that all you did? I'm seeing this on a non load-balanced environment. Getting sql timeouts and the same NuCache error you got.

I've already tried the MainDom.Lock app setting, and disabling the overlapped recycling on the application pool.

https://our.umbraco.com/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/107789-site-suddenly-starts-exceed-pool-limits-and-fail-to-boot

Aug 25, 2021 @ 14:02
    Tim Mather

Thanks will have a look at this.

• OleP 67 posts 276 karma points
    Dec 14, 2021 @ 12:25
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft