Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tim Bennett 23 posts 155 karma points
    Oct 07, 2020 @ 12:03
    Tim Bennett

Populate Properties with EXIF data

Hi!

I'd like to populate custom media type properties with already extant EXIF/IPTC data, but that is utter witchcraft and I have no idea where to even start!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

• DonZalmrol 220 posts 833 karma points
    Oct 07, 2020 @ 16:20
    Oct 07, 2020 @ 23:50
    Tim Bennett

Thanks, I'll have a look - it absolutely reads the data I need, just gotta figure out how to access it!

Oct 27, 2020 @ 12:16
    Tim Bennett

Thought I'd come back and post the solution I used in the end for the benefit of anyone else searching.

I used Drew Noakes' Metadata Extractor library: https://github.com/drewnoakes/metadata-extractor-dotnet

Here's some example code to extract IPTC data. In a nutshell, you pass a physical path for your file to ImageMetadataReader.ReadMetadata to get a handle on the set of directories that hold each type of metadata, then use MetadataExtractor.Formats to pull the specific directory you need (e.g. EXIF, IPTC, DICOM). Then instance MetadataExtractor.Formats.xxxx.xxxxDescriptor , where the xxxx refers to your chosen metadata type, and you can then extract the specific values for metadata tags. The exception is Adobe XMP data, which is stored a bit differently, but our man Drew Noakes has you covered: https://github.com/drewnoakes/xmp-core-dotnet

@using MetadataExtractor    
    var image = Model.Value<IPublishedContent>("Image");
    <!-- get physical path of image -->
    var physicalPath = Server.MapPath(image.Url);
    <!-- get IPTC metadata -->
    var directories = ImageMetadataReader.ReadMetadata(physicalPath);
    var IptcDir = directories.OfType<MetadataExtractor.Formats.Iptc.IptcDirectory>().FirstOrDefault();
    if (IptcDir != null) 
        {
             var descriptor = new MetadataExtractor.Formats.Iptc.IptcDescriptor(IptcDir);
             // get IPTC values
             String IptcCopyright= descriptor.GetCopyrightNoticeDescription();
             String IptcSource= descriptor.GetSourceDescription();
        }

• DonZalmrol 220 posts 833 karma points
    Oct 28, 2020 @ 14:38
    DonZalmrol

You son of a gun! Thanks to your pasted code I was able to do this for my site as well! :)

In another topic of mine I was overthinking this and trying to use the Metadata extractor from Drew Noakes also but trying to use a surface controller to pass the data along...

But clearly it was possible to do it from Umbraco directly without the need of a surface controller.

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Oct 28, 2020 @ 16:09
    Tim Bennett

Ha! Glad I could help!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft