Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• fabbau 18 posts 108 karma points
    Oct 07, 2020 @ 15:17
    fabbau

Remove special characters in URL query parameter

Hi all,

there is a blog page on our umbraco instance. The blog entries have some taxonomies and sometimes there are special chars like "é" in it. If a user now filters for blog entries associated with a taxonomy, the taxonomy string gets added to the URL as query parameter

Example URL:

www.mysite.com/blog/?category=Santé

For better SEO results the client now wants to replace those special chars with normal ones.

Any idea on how to achieve this?

Thank you guys.

• Lee Kelleher 3922 posts 15030 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 21, 2020 @ 15:50
    Lee Kelleher

Hi fabbau,

Sorry that no one else had replied to you in the past 2 weeks. Hopefully you were able to resolve the issue.

If not, then there is a option in the "/config/umbracoSettings.config" that handles special characters in the URL.

There are more options in the documentation here: https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Reference/Config/umbracoSettings/#requesthandler

Example config would look like this...

<requestHandler>
      <!-- this ensures that all url segments are turned to ASCII as much as we can -->
      <urlReplacing toAscii="try">
        <char org="é">e</char>
      </urlReplacing>
    </requestHandler>

Although I believe the toAscii option should cover it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    - Lee

• fabbau 18 posts 108 karma points
    Oct 22, 2020 @ 09:07
    fabbau

Thanks for the answer Lee,

This is what I already have in place. But the URL replacing rules only applies to URLs itself and not to query parameters. Those parameters remain unchanged.

• Lee Kelleher 3922 posts 15030 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 22, 2020 @ 10:59
    Lee Kelleher

Doh! It would help if I read your question properly, apologies!

Since I'm not sure how you are currently implementing the categories and filtering logic, there are a couple of ways to you could approach it.

One way would be to sanitize the category value at the point when it's rendered, e.g. in the Razor view, something like...

<a href="/blog/?category=@value.ToUrlSegment()">@value</a>

*obviously I'm not sure how you're actually doing this.

Note, the ToUrlSegment() extension method is what Umbraco uses to generate the "URL safe" name of a node... you can use it on any string.

That would make the URLs to use ASCII characters.

Then on the filtering side... it'd be a case of however you are doing the logic, to apply the same sanitization, something like...

var category = Request.QueryString["category"];
    var items = Model.Children.Where(x => x.Category.ToUrlSegment() == category);

*this is just pseudo-code (written off the top of my head). Of course, I'm not sure how you're actually doing the filtering.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    - Lee

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft