Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Claushingebjerg 936 posts 2571 karma points
    Oct 21, 2020 @ 08:22
    Claushingebjerg

Block list editor in the grid

How do your insert a block list editor in the grid?

Seeing as the block list editor is good at doing... lists :), and the grid is good at doing columns, i was thinking of combining them. Just cant seem to get my head around how exactly...

• Frans de Jong 548 posts 1840 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Oct 26, 2020 @ 13:33
    Frans de Jong

The easiest way to achieve that is to use Doc Type Grid Editor. It is a package that let's you pick documenttypes in the grid and you can add a blocklist to a doctype.

Oct 26, 2020 @ 13:36
    Claushingebjerg

Hmmm, interesting and usable approach.

Although it is a bit weird to have to install a package to use two core data types together.

Oct 26, 2020 @ 13:39
    Frans de Jong

The block list base behind the new editor could be a replacement for grid so it isn't that strange.

In my opinion you have to look at grid as a old editor that will be replaced in the future by a killer package that uses block list to store data instead of a huge json blob combining layout and content.

Oct 26, 2020 @ 13:43
    Claushingebjerg

Yeah.... but no! The Block list editor does lists... It's no grid editor thats for sure.

Unfortunately im doing websites in the present and not the future :)

If you have a good way to do "non static" columns in the block list editor i'm all ears.

But thanks for the tip, it might do the trick i'm after.

Oct 26, 2020 @ 13:46
    Frans de Jong

The foundation of the blocklist editor is perfectly capable of replacing grid.

The blocklist editor is a implementation of a block editor.

More info here: https://umbraco.com/blog/deep-dive-the-block-list-editor/

In theory you can build whatever editor based on this concept.

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Oct 26, 2020 @ 13:55
    Amir Khan

I might be missing something simple conceptually but I don't get how you could use one of these list type editors to create a row > number of columns > add editors to columns (and so on) sort of experience?

Oct 26, 2020 @ 15:00
    Claushingebjerg

Amir Khan: My point exactly

Oct 26, 2020 @ 15:10
    Claushingebjerg

So im actually looking into moving a site from 7 to 8 and looking in to replacing the grid, so these questions are of real interest, not just to be a grumpy old fart.

On this site, i have 10 different row configurations, which are imediately visualy obvious for the editor. How would one go about doing that in the blocklist editor?

enter image description here

Oct 26, 2020 @ 14:02
    Frans de Jong

If you read the blog you'll see that in V8.7 we got a new concept of storing data and a editor that uses the new way to store data.

You could store columns and rows in settings in block editor and make a more robust version of the grid that could contain all the base editors out of the box.

Oct 26, 2020 @ 15:03
    Claushingebjerg

I'm sure you can, and im sure it's a great way to store data.

But i fail to see how it can be a great editor experience. And that is more important on the sites i build.

Oct 26, 2020 @ 15:06
    Amir Khan

Right, and the grid was is easy to configure and render out of the box, our designers love it. I did read that blog post, but again not seeing a way to set up a grid builder. Hopefully just missing some concepts though.

Oct 26, 2020 @ 20:14
    Frans de Jong

You could show the same editor experience to the editor but with a far more improved WYSIWYG experience. Block editor is a new way to store data. Not a new property editor.

You can use it to create every editor you want as long as it is based on element types.

Oct 26, 2020 @ 20:34
    Amir Khan

So the idea would be to build a new grid editor on top of the block editor? That sort of grid interface will never be there out of the box?

Oct 26, 2020 @ 20:39
    Frans de Jong

Probably not. I don't think HQ would want to spend time on that. They focus on different stuff.

The major drawback on the current grid editor in my opinion is that it stores layout and content in one json blob. Would be so mutch nicer if we could save it as blocks.

Back to your initial question. You need something like DTGE to add blocklist to the grid.

• MB 113 posts 422 karma points
    Oct 26, 2020 @ 21:00
    MB

My simplistic view is that it depends on the complexity of the content and the level of control you need to have over it.

Block-editor provides the ability for a better environment as the content become complex and/or requires more control over its consistency. It will do whatever you design it to do, but obviously that requires more provisioning.

Grid-editor (particularly if combined with DTGE) is more of a free-form content solution that imposes less constraints on the content editor, and requires minimal provisioning.

The grid-editor has its place in that context, but also has its limitations.

Oct 26, 2020 @ 21:03
    Frans de Jong

I think that is a good summary. I've relied heavily on the grid before until I had to migrate content to V8.

It is so hard to untangle everything that I now look for different solutions and always work with stacked components based on element types.

• AbsolutelyN 85 posts 433 karma points
    Mar 04, 2021 @ 09:57
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft