Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark Pickard 23 posts 116 karma points
    Oct 21, 2020 @ 10:35
    Mark Pickard

Create a dropdown search filtering the child items displayed

enter image description here

Hi all,

First post! I'm developing our vehicle website on Umbraco 8 (v8.8.0). My task is to take our wordpress site and rebuild it in Umbraco. I have developed a couple of sites in Umbraco already and comfortable with most of it but this part I am trying to find the best solution.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can create a filter page with dropdowns (or checkboxes) that will display the child items in the page as you change the filters as per my screenshot?

None of my child items on the feed pages have any category tags yet. I have looked everywhere for an example of even a blog with sidebar that you can filter by cat tags but I cannot find much. The closest thing I have found is the demo on uvendia but as the site is almost complete I am unsure about installing uvendia and having to rebuild all my pages. I also saw Bobo Facets but think it may be out of date for Umbraco 8.

Could someone give me some pointers please?

• Mark Pickard 23 posts 116 karma points
    Oct 26, 2020 @ 16:30
    Mark Pickard

As I am new to this forum and there hasn't been a reply I wonder did I put this question in the correct category? I can repost if it's in the wrong place? Just need advice or pointers really.

• Mohamad Ali Bahsoun 5 posts 74 karma points
    Feb 23, 2021 @ 22:35
    Mohamad Ali Bahsoun

Hello,

Did you find a solution? actually, I searched over the internet about this topic but no luck. I have the same issue and still working on it

• Mehmet Avcı 55 posts 240 karma points
    Feb 24, 2021 @ 09:50
    Mehmet Avcı

Hi Mark,

Depending on how you would like to achive it, I believe you have several options here.

Firstly, you might want to add an endpoint in a api controller, which inherits UmbracoApiController to give you access Umbraco resources. Then via basic JS ajax requests you can update your dropdowns based on your logic. This would give you a seemless experience on the page itself.

Secondly, you might dump your data to html with filtering options. In this case without calling anything on serverside, you can filter and alter your dropdown options with js.

Another option might be having a surface controller action that you can point your search form. However this would reload your page. In addition, from what I understand, this is not really what you have asked, since this way you will only have data on page load and it won't change.

Of course there might be some other approaches, these are just the ones came to my mind at the moment. I hope these help you.

Best,

Mehmet

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft