Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• nickornotto 397 posts 900 karma points
    Oct 21, 2020 @ 14:17
    nickornotto

Make umbraco url show another solution

I am trying to "integrate" a third party solution with my umbraco website.

The idea is to have them as separate solutions but the url should be within umbraco website domain eg.:

www.myumbracowebsite.com is the website using umbraco

www.myumbracowebsite.com/myplugin should be showing site hosted under an alias.

Is it possible and how?

Umbraco 7.2.8

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Oct 21, 2020 @ 15:19
    Lee Kelleher

Hi nickornotto,

It's possible to do this using a virtual directory (at IIS level). The main thing that Umbraco needs to be aware of is to ignore it, (so that Umbraco doesn't assume it's a frontend request).

In the Web.config app-settings, there is one for Umbraco.Core.ReservedPaths, add the "~/myplugin" path to the value. (If you want to have multiple ones, then comma-separate them).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    - Lee

• nickornotto 397 posts 900 karma points
    Oct 21, 2020 @ 16:21
    nickornotto

Adding something like "~/myplugin" to the reserved paths assume that it is a directory within the umbraco web app which won't be the case as the "plugin" is a separate solution.

I rather thought of getting it pointed to another domain alias eg. the "www.myumbracowebsite.com/myplugin" would show the website hosted under "myplugin.myumbracowebsite.com" or so - without redirecting it to that address.

Unless it is possible to tell umbraco to look into another project but "~/" assume the plugin sits within the root folder.

Is this possible?

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Oct 21, 2020 @ 16:42
    Lee Kelleher

It's been a long time since I'd set up a virtual-directory in IIS, but it's my understanding that it would become it's own web-app, (that's accessible from whatever path you gave it).

Then as Umbraco would be the main/parent web-app, it need to be aware of the virtual-directory, which is why you'd need to add it to the reserved paths.

One small amendment to what I said above, I've just realised that you said Umbraco v7.2.8, so it'd be an older app-setting option...

<add key="umbracoReservedPaths" value="~/umbraco,~/install/,~/myplugin" />

https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Reference/Config/webconfig/index-v7#umbracoreservedpaths

Hope this helps?

Cheers,
    - Lee

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft