Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dasc 2 posts 72 karma points
    Nov 12, 2020 @ 01:00
    Dasc

Apply fix to older umbraco version

Hello all. I have a website with umbraco 7.6.5 installed which is being affected by a memory leak issue only fixed on 7.15. I can't go through an upgrade process because of the work amount and time restrictions, so what options do i have to apply this specific fix without going through an upgrade process? Thank you, all good.

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Nov 14, 2020 @ 16:42
    Marc Goodson

Hi Dasc

It depends on what the fix is, and the nature of the changes required.

If for example, it's a fix to an angularJS controller or angularJS view then you could take this change and apply it to the corresponding controller/view/ clientside code in your older site - up the client dependency version, and clear your cache, and you may be ok.

If the fix is in compiled code then, what you would need to do is get a local build of Umbraco from the 7.6 release branch:

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/tree/v7/7.6

Make the fix, and build the release dlls, and copy them across into your site.

After 7.7 upgrades are fairly trivial - (the jump from 7.6 to 7.7 introduces User Groups - and the db migration of users to user groups can be tricky if you have 100's of users) and it depends alot on how much customisation of your site and 3rd party plugins - but it might be worth just getting a copy of your live db, and pointing a vanilla copy of 7.15.6 at it - to see if the upgrade might be fairly painless, as running an upgraded version will have other benefits, and potentially be easier to work with in the future than the custom build...

... but hey, if it's just a tweak to an angularJS view, then make the tweak!

regards

marc

• Dasc 2 posts 72 karma points
    Nov 16, 2020 @ 13:03
    Dasc

Hi Marc, thank you for your answer! The fix is indeed compiled code, i need to change Umbraco's HttpRuntimeCacheProvider.cs which resides in Umbraco.Core

I understand how to clone Umbraco 7.6 version from git, but which is the correct way of doing the final build? Is it a regular build using visual studio? Can i compile Umbraco.core and copy only the umbraco.core.dll to my project? Right now I have Umbraco installed via NuGet.

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Nov 16, 2020 @ 19:15
    Marc Goodson

Hi Dasc

Have a look in Visual Studio under the build menu, there will be different types of build, eg debug/release, you probably want to build in release - if it's there - and yep, the other dlls won't care if you only drop in your replacement dll.

You'll only hit issues, if the fix your trying to bring back, relies on other fixes that have been over the different versions... and aren't in 7.6 - but you'll find that out when you try to build!

regards

marc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft