Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Patrick van Kemenade 101 posts 339 karma points
    Nov 15, 2020 @ 12:31
    Patrick van Kemenade

Umbraco 8.9.1 not possible to preview without saving

Dear All,

I've upgraded my Umbraco 8.6.x site to version 8.9.1.

On first glance it looked that the migration went flawless, but now I notice that when editing content I no longer have the "Preview" button but instead I only have a "save and preview" link.

Which I'm afraid will make copies on every Preview which I don't want, I only want to save the page after it looks correct. And also if I want to do a quick peek I don't like if things get saved while there is no adjustment.

To make things worse from the backend it's not possible to delete old copies of this page so this will clutter the database.

Is this behaviour something which can be adjusted in some config file or setting ?

Is this new "save and Preview" behaviour the result of an Umbraco upgrade or might there something else be causing this ?

Thanks, Patrick

• Patrick van Kemenade 101 posts 339 karma points
    Nov 15, 2020 @ 12:44
    Patrick van Kemenade

Think I might have found the answer on my question here ->

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/issues/7621

Can anybody confirm that also in the old version that the button called "Preview" was actually doing a save before every preview even if nothing was changed.

And that there currently is no nice way remove old clutter from old saves and previews which are no longer relevant.

Looking at rollback now see that a lot of my pages have 50+ old versions which are useless since you can only do a full rollback replacing all current content. Is it possible to completely disable the rollback functionality?

• Matthew Wise 271 posts 1373 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Nov 16, 2020 @ 09:20
    Matthew Wise

Hi,

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/issues/7621 - Was a text change to make it clear on what the button is actually doing. I raised the issue as a client would hit save then hit preview.

I am not sure if it saves even when there is no changes, you would have to check the API call.

As for removing old versions you can automate this using unversion

Thanks,

Matt

EDIT / Addition

If it does not save every time then we should raise an issue and make the button text change when there is an edit.

Equally maybe we should not be saving every time :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft