Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Genc Kastrati 86 posts 401 karma points
    Nov 18, 2020 @ 11:02
    Genc Kastrati

"echo > deploy" not working on Azure

Greetings friends, we are trying to set up an instance of Umbraco on Azure and although we managed to get clean instance running, it seems to ignore the command "echo > deploy" to update the document types, templates, etc.

We are setting up a backup site from our Umbraco Cloud solution and all that does work on the cloud and localhost, but not on Azure.

Is "deploy" not functional on Azure? Do we need to use an alternative?

Thank you! Genc

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14324 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Nov 18, 2020 @ 19:56
    Marc Goodson

Hi Genc

echo > deploy is an Umbraco Cloud specific thing, although Umbraco Cloud runs on an Azure infrastructure, the deployment of document type changes between environments is handled by Umbraco Deploy.

There isn't currently a version of Umbraco Deploy available to use 'off cloud' - although HQ are working on releasing an 'on premises' version soon.

In the meantime there is a third party package called uSync, which is popular in the community to use to move Doc Type changes etc between Umbraco environments that aren't on Umbraco Cloud:

https://our.umbraco.com/packages/developer-tools/usync/

There is also a paid version that allows you to deploy content called uSync complete.

https://our.umbraco.com/packages/developer-tools/usynccomplete/

Finally if you are just trying to setup a failover Azure Web App for your existing Umbraco Cloud site, then we wrote a blog post guide for planning for this scenario that might be a useful reference:

https://moriyama.co.uk/about-us/news/planning-for-site-availability-during-umbraco-cloud-outages/

regards

Marc

Nov 19, 2020 @ 08:02
    Genc Kastrati

Thank you so much Marc. Do you know if there is a problem having uSync on the same solution as the one we work on for the Cloud?

I want to have an entirely separate system that I update every couple of days that does not depend on Cloud database, in case that is also down. Thank you!!

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14324 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Nov 19, 2020 @ 20:00
    Marc Goodson

Hi Genc

I do not know for sure... in theory it may work, I know in earlier versions of uSync and Umbraco V7 - uSync would detect it was on cloud and not run, but I think in V8, the mechnism for detecting if you are running on cloud changed, so this might be possible now, if not necessarily morally approved of.

If I were taking this approach, I'd try on a trial version of cloud first and check with the cloud support team that this is 'ok' from their perspective.

But also consider if your rollover fallback version of your site is an Azure Web App - you'll likely be using a SQL Azure database - and this is the same as on Umbraco Cloud, there isn't anything clever or Umbraco Cloud specific about the underlying SQL Azure instance, so if for some reason SQL Azure is 'down' for your Umbraco Cloud site, it's likely down for your fallback site.... but also that's really really unlikely.

Maybe having a regular backup/bacpac file of the Umbraco Cloud SQL Azure db might be possible to arrange? - I guess it depends on how often you update the site etc.

regards

Marc

Nov 20, 2020 @ 08:55
    Genc Kastrati

Thank you for your advice Marc. I will definitely check-in with the Umbraco Cloud team. Really appreciated!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft