Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gibran Shah 69 posts 240 karma points
    Nov 19, 2020 @ 02:13
    Gibran Shah

How do I interpret the cmsMemberType table?

Hello,

I'm following along in this article to manage user roles:

https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Getting-Started/Data/Members/index-v7

I believe roles are stored in the cmsMemberType table in the Umbraco database. But when I look at this table, I'm confused about what each column represents. None of the columns seem to correspond to any of the settings in the Umbraco UI.

What does each column represent?

Thanks.

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Nov 19, 2020 @ 21:41
    Marc Goodson

Hi Gibran

Member Types and Member Groups are different things.

You can have different Types of Members with different properties storing different values for each different Type. (like Document Types define different types of content pages)

eg. if you had a 'football' Membership system, you might have a Member Type for Football Player, that records their Name, and Age, and Playing Position - and then you might have another Member Type for Football Official or Football Manager where 'Playing Position' isn't relevant but you'd have a different property to store qualifications etc

Not sure why I chose the football analogy... not sure it makes things any clearer... but there is football on the telly as I type this...

Whereas Membership Groups, can have different types of Members in the same groups and can be used via the 'Public Access' option in the content section to control access to content.

So if you had a content page specifically for 'Manchester United' you could create a Manchester United Membership Group, and use that to control access to the page, you could then put certain individual Football Players into the Manchester United group along with their Football Manager... so different types of Members, grouped together in a single group... the Football Player might also be in an International team group. so a particular Member can only have 'one Type' but can be in multiple groups.

In terms of database tables, the mapping of Member to their Membership group is stored in the table:

cmsMember2MemberGroup

This is just two columns of ids, one which maps to the cmsMember table and the other (for the Member Group Name) to the umbracoNode table.

The umbracoNode table is generally where the names of most Umbraco entities that are displayable in a tree format are stored, eg their Parent item is stored here along with their path etc

regards

Marc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft