Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gavin Williams 47 posts 220 karma points
    Nov 19, 2020 @ 16:04
    Gavin Williams

Load balancing and Umbraco admin

I'm new to load balancing with Umbraco and have followed the various documentation to configure it in Azure, so now I have two Azure web apps, one configured as master, one as slave which can be scaled out as required.

I'm now into a period of testing to prove everything works as expected but what should I expect the standard behaviour to be with regards to the umbraco backend?

For example if I explicitly browse to the slave web app url/umbraco should I expect this to re-route to the master web app/umbraco url or does it not work that way?

Would it do so once the actual web domain url is in place?

Should I just hide/rename the umbraco folder on the slave and then get the editors to use the master web app url explictly?

Is this what the umbracoApplicationUrl param handles in the umbracoSettings.config?

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14324 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Nov 19, 2020 @ 21:22
    Marc Goodson

Hi Gavin

If you access the replica - frontend server on the /umbraco url, then I suspect the default behaviour would be to allow you to login!

Generally, you'd have a different Url/subdomain for the 'primary' backoffice instance for editors to use, and put IIS Rewrite rules in to prevent access to the Umbraco folder on the replica servers that are serving the site on the main url (it's also ok if the backoffice instance also serves the site - the only issue is if you scale out the backoffice instance - that's when it breaks).

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Reference/Security/Security-hardening/

The Umbraco Application Url is the Url on which the server can request itself, and it's been used over the years as part of quite a few different backoffice functions (legacy load balancing requests, scheduled publishing) but generally it's used as part of the KeepAlive ping:

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/c1bffefd236d69803e7937a02fd0462cac7fb1ba/src/Umbraco.Web/Scheduling/KeepAlive.cs

(but that isn't executed on replica servers)

So yes set this to be your backoffice url that your editors access backoffice on.

regards

marc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft