Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kevin Meilander 78 posts 384 karma points c-trib
    Dec 03, 2020 @ 15:33
    Kevin Meilander

When to use Block List Settings

Does any one have any guidelines for when to use the blocklist settings vs blocklist content?

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around when I would use settings.

• Marc Love (uSkinned.net) 432 posts 1670 karma points
    Dec 03, 2020 @ 15:51
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

Hi Kevin,

We use 'Content' for anything that is actual content that gets displayed on the frontend. We use 'Settings' for values that alter the way the content is displayed. This might be background colours, text alignment, spacing etc.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Marc

• Damien Holley 179 posts 540 karma points
    Dec 14, 2020 @ 22:15
    Damien Holley

As different settings models may be used in different blocklists for the same block (or use the same one for multiple block types) my thoughts are that the conntent should be anything that is always required for that block.

Settings are anything that relates to what it is held in (width, fill etc.)

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1099 karma points
    Dec 14, 2020 @ 22:31
    Brendan Rice

I'm with Marc, content for data and settings for display.

Dec 16, 2020 @ 01:14
    Damien Holley

I like this idea, until I realised the block is completely decoupled from the settings so it has to be added to every single blocklist this block is used on.

This makes it more of a item that relates the block to the blocklist rather than settings for the block itself, so I use it for block widths and other generic data that may affect the containing div rather than the internal workings.

• Mark Drake 133 posts 457 karma points c-trib
    Dec 15, 2020 @ 03:36
    Mark Drake

I don't find it so easy to separate a block list editor from it's content and various settings and configuration.

The block list editors I setup are usually user interface components like:

• Breadcrumbs
    • HTML Block
    • Rich Text
    • Video
    • Horizontal Card
    • Vertical Cards
    • Banner
    • Slider
    • Carousel

The settings are often times unique to the component. I didn't like doubling up on all of these element types, example:

• SliderBlock
    • SliderBlockSettings

I am considering a settings type for everything general - margins, padding, background [color or image], id attribute, html tag [div, section, article], and the such.

But in general, my settings are too specific and thus are put in the element type.

Dec 15, 2020 @ 23:15
    Damien Holley

+1 to this, I am finding a LOT of settings that are component unique.

That being said, there are the containner settings or generic settings that can be used (% width of container) which can be applied to a lot of blocks and may differ based on the blocklist the block is in.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft