Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Thomas 160 posts 335 karma points
    Dec 04, 2020 @ 13:23
    Thomas

Import Data from Umbraco 7 database to Umbraco 8 database

Hi, I have a news site running for a few years and now i am redesigning it to the latest version of umbraco. That is a complete redesign so i cannot use the old database and upgrade it to the latest version. So i need something to import the articles from the old database to the new database, map them to the new document types, map the fields to the new fields and also map the articles under the new categories.

Is there any suggestions how to do that?

Best Regards

Thomas

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Dec 04, 2020 @ 13:34
    Steve Morgan

Create two APIs - one in the old v7 site and one in the v8.

V7 site - output all your news items (create a custom class if needed).

Call the v7 site from the v8 API and use the content service to create your news items in v8.

If need be you can get the images in the news item and add them as a media items as you go.

That's how I've done it in the past.

Steve

Dec 04, 2020 @ 14:24
    Thomas

Is there any available code in order to help me with the implementation to finish it as soon as possible?

Best Regards

Thomas

• Stuart Mullinger 79 posts 422 karma points
    Dec 04, 2020 @ 16:25
    Stuart Mullinger

Hi Thomas,

My package Converge may help you. It provides both APIs. There's a separate package for V7 and you may be able to add some converters as required.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Stuart.

Dec 04, 2020 @ 18:25
    Thomas

Hi Stuart,

I appreciate yours response but it looks like i cannot use Converge in my old Umbraco 7 version site because of compatibility issues. My site is 7.1.8 version and there is compatibility issues on package installation.

• Stuart Mullinger 79 posts 422 karma points
    Dec 07, 2020 @ 16:42
    Stuart Mullinger

Shame. I am considering pushing back to earlier versions, but not in the near future I'm afraid. Good luck with your project anyway.

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Dec 04, 2020 @ 16:32
    Amir Khan

You could also use this if you're willing to pay for a license (guessing you have more nodes than the free will allow): https://our.umbraco.com/packages/developer-tools/cmsimport/

Dec 09, 2020 @ 11:06
    Thomas

Finally i found a workaround. I am using the console application i found here, modified to my needs, and export the contents formatted properly to another sql database. After that i am using CMSImport to import the content to the Umbraco 8 database.

Thanks a lot everyone for the support and suggestions.

Thomas

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft