Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark 2 posts 42 karma points
    Dec 10, 2020 @ 12:17
    Mark

Noob to Umbraco, is it the right platform and should I start with .Net Core

Hi All,

I am a seasoned .Net developer (including .Net Core) and usually build web applications from the ground up. However I am looking to use an existing platform to build some editorial style websites that require a CMS for writing posts/articles and really don't want to re-invent the wheel...

I hope I can get these questions answered?

1) Is it possible to have multiple sites under one installation? I have some some much posts about his, but wondering what this is like in 2020? With multiple sites, I am referring to multiple templates, that may be or may not be very similar, can be updated individually and run on their own domain names. We assume these sites are in a single organisations, representing brands in the same company.

2) Is it possible to "plugin/develop" a connection to an external digital asset management system for images etc? eg cloundinary?

3) I am used to building applications with Entity Framework (code first/migrations etc), jQuery/React.js etc What is the front end JS framework and what sort of workflow exists for extending Umbraco?

4) Would it be worth starting with the .Net Core Alpha version (I understand the pains of this having migrated through the .net core versions, and happy to endure that) but does this mean many aspects wont work right now? This is a substantial project and I suspect the existing version 8 will not have an upgrade path to the .net version?

Any pointers would be helpful,

Thanks

• Kelnmyir 2 posts 92 karma points
    Dec 10, 2020 @ 17:28
    Kelnmyir

Hi Mark

1) Yes, it is easy enough to have some websites with different hostnames in one Umbraco instance. You can assign them in node properties: Node properties screenshot

It looks like nice idea if you want to share some document types, data types etc between your websites.

2) If your assets service has some public API, why not integrate it? Such work requires Umbraco backoffice extending (there is AngularJS), but it is completely possible. I have an experience of getting videos from Youtube and Vimeo, and it was simple enough, though developed from scratch.

3) Umbraco CMS is expected to run as MVC application.

You can enrich your frontend with jQuery, React, even Angular (I personally use jQuery and in some cases Angular)

You can try Umbraco Heartcore which is headless variant of Umbraco - in this case front-end does not depend on your CMS.

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Dec 10, 2020 @ 19:32
    Amir Khan

Just an FYI, you don't need Heartcore to build a different front-end for your app, you can use a normal Umbraco installation.

React example here: https://medium.com/mirum-budapest/building-react-on-an-umbraco-backend-3147d59a292f

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft