Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tony Lorentzen 85 posts 174 karma points
    Dec 17, 2020 @ 12:51
    Tony Lorentzen

Webshop product properties

Hey devs - I'm setting up a webshop for a client based on a site that consists of a lot of pages of document types called "products". So far so good. The client is asking to be able to add properties to individual product types, which later on should be filterable in categories. For example - we have a category called "camera lenses" which should have properties like "aperture", "filter diameter", "focal length", "zoom / prime", "lens mount" etc. while other categories like "Lights" would have properties like "Color temperature", "LED Technology", "Light intensity" etc. How would you go about implementing properties like this in an easily expandible way? Properties would be of different types - some would be checkboxes, some multiple selects and others simple text fields.

My initial idea is to implement them as separate document types under the "products" type I already have. Is there a smarter way to do this, though? Ideas would be welcome.

• Thomas Rydeen Skyldahl 47 posts 229 karma points
    Dec 17, 2020 @ 14:03
    Thomas Rydeen Skyldahl

If you are using umbraco 8 I would go with the Block List Editor https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Backoffice/Property-Editors/Built-in-Property-Editors/Block-List-Editor/

but if it is Umbraco 7 I would look at Nested Content: https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Getting-Started/Backoffice/Property-Editors/Built-in-Property-Editors/Nested-Content/index-v7

this way the values are inlined in the product document, and you wouldn't have to query them as seperate elements, by doing this you can gain some performance.

but you still have to take care in the product listings and how you implement the filtering to get decent performance.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft