Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ian 17 posts 57 karma points
    Dec 29, 2020 @ 14:18
    Ian

Umbraco Server/Hosting Migration issues - NullReferenceException

Hi,

I got given the task of moving an Umbraco installation to brand new hosting and I'm getting a few problems. The reason behind these issues is that I can't see the old hosting solution to compare because it is hosted with a previous web company and the split has been fairly acrimonious so I need to just try and set it up as best I can. I was given the files and a database backup and I need to try and recreate the same setup. The version is 7.12.3.

Anyway, I've overcome a number of issues setting up IIS from scratch and I've got to the point where the Umbraco admin/CMS part is able to load, but the front end doesn't load ( I also can't preview pages in the admin section).

When I try and load the front end now, I get the NullReferenceException error (Object reference not set to an instance of an object) but i don't know how to fix this - can anyone think what it might be from the stack trace on the error?

enter image description here
    It's very vague, more so for me possibly because I'm not that familiar with Umbraco, it's been a few years since I've really used it. The class names I've blacked out are custom controls the previous web company made. I do have the DLLs for them in the bin folder. Any help appreciated, thanks

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Dec 29, 2020 @ 17:47
    Amir Khan

You might want to try right clicking on Content > Republish Entire Site to rebuild the website cache. Also clearing the App_Data/TEMP folder and versioning up the client dependency by one can help.

Dec 29, 2020 @ 22:28
    Ian

Hi, thanks - I tried republishing entire site, but it didn't help and neither did the versioning unfortunately. I also tried clearing the AppData/TEMP folder and now I can't get into Umbraco at all! Disaster. I've tried putting the files back in temp but I get an error saying "Could not find a part of the path 'C:[SITE-PATH]\AppData\TEMP\PluginCache\umbraco-plugins.[SERVERNAME].list'." 1 step forward, 3 steps back today.

Edit, when I logged on again today, I was able to login to Umbraco again.

Jan 05, 2021 @ 09:15
    Ian

Hi,

I maybe posted at a bad time so close to the holidays but does anyone have any ideas how I can can proceed with this, I'm really running out of ideas.

One thing to note is that this site has been moved from a load balanced environment and I'm now just trying to get it going on a single web server first. Could that be the reason for the issues? Judging by the last entry in the stack trace, it is talking about a CacheHelper. Could there be a problem with Caching following the move?

Jan 05, 2021 @ 13:54
    Amir Khan

Oh, yeah that could definitely be it. I haven't implemented "Umbraco" load balancing, we use more of a networking based solution. But I wonder if its set to not generate the cache on the master environment but to push it to the front end environments and that's not happening correctly (because there aren't any).

I hate to drop you another article, but maybe reversing some of the steps here could help? https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/getting-started/setup/server-setup/load-balancing/

Jan 06, 2021 @ 14:33
    Ian

Thanks Amir. It looks like the problem was I hadn't updated the hostname and culture. I added the new dev host names then Republished entire site and it was able to display - I guess it completely cleared the cache. Thanks for your input though

Jan 06, 2021 @ 15:51
    Amir Khan

Always the simple things...Glad you got it sorted.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft