Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ayo Adesina 430 posts 1023 karma points
    Jan 06, 2021 @ 01:09
    Ayo Adesina

Upgrade 8.5.5 to 8.10.1 - Cannot acquire MainDom

I'm trying to upgrade Umbraco from 8.5.5 to 8.10.1, but when I try and boot the site, I can't get to the installation Wizare I get the following error:

Any ideas?

Boot failed: Umbraco cannot run. See Umbraco's log file for more details.

-> Umbraco.Core.Exceptions.BootFailedException: Boot failed.

-> System.TimeoutException: Cannot acquire MainDom at Umbraco.Core.Runtime.MainDom.Acquire() in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Runtime\MainDom.cs:line 172 at System.Threading.LazyInitializer.EnsureInitializedCore[T](T& target, Boolean& initialized, Object& syncLock, Func`1 valueFactory) at Umbraco.Core.Runtime.MainDom.get_IsMainDom() in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Runtime\MainDom.cs:line 204 at Umbraco.Core.Runtime.CoreRuntime.AcquireMainDom(IMainDom mainDom) in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Runtime\CoreRuntime.cs:line 263 at Umbraco.Core.Runtime.CoreRuntime.Boot(IRegister register, DisposableTimer timer) in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Runtime\CoreRuntime.cs:line 169 Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: Umbraco.Core.Exceptions.BootFailedException: Boot failed: Umbraco cannot run. See Umbraco's log file for more details.

-> System.TimeoutException: Cannot acquire MainDom at Umbraco.Core.Runtime.MainDom.Acquire() in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Runtime\MainDom.cs:line 172 at System.Threading.LazyInitializer.EnsureInitializedCore[T](T& target, Boolean& initialized, Object& syncLock, Func`1 valueFactory) at Umbraco.Core.Runtime.MainDom.get_IsMainDom() in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Runtime\MainDom.cs:line 204 at Umbraco.Core.Runtime.CoreRuntime.AcquireMainDom(IMainDom mainDom) in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Runtime\CoreRuntime.cs:line 263 at Umbraco.Core.Runtime.CoreRuntime.Boot(IRegister register, DisposableTimer timer) in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Runtime\CoreRuntime.cs:line 169

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[BootFailedException: Boot failed: Umbraco cannot run. See Umbraco's log file for more details.

-> System.TimeoutException: Cannot acquire MainDom at Umbraco.Core.Runtime.MainDom.Acquire() in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Runtime\MainDom.cs:line 172 at System.Threading.LazyInitializer.EnsureInitializedCore[T](T& target, Boolean& initialized, Object& syncLock, Func1 valueFactory) at Umbraco.Core.Runtime.MainDom.get_IsMainDom() in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Runtime\MainDom.cs:line 204 at Umbraco.Core.Runtime.CoreRuntime.AcquireMainDom(IMainDom mainDom) in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Runtime\CoreRuntime.cs:line 263 at Umbraco.Core.Runtime.CoreRuntime.Boot(IRegister register, DisposableTimer timer) in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Runtime\CoreRuntime.cs:line 169] Umbraco.Core.Exceptions.BootFailedException.Rethrow(BootFailedException bootFailedException) in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Exceptions\BootFailedException.cs:64 Umbraco.Web.Composing.ModuleInjector1.Init(HttpApplication context) in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Web\Composing\ModuleInjector.cs:41 System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context, MethodInfo[] handlers) +584 System.Web.HttpApplication.InitSpecial(HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers, IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +168 System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +277 System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext) +369

[HttpException (0x80004005): Boot failed: Umbraco cannot run. See Umbraco's log file for more details.

-> System.TimeoutException: Cannot acquire MainDom at Umbraco.Core.Runtime.MainDom.Acquire() in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Runtime\MainDom.cs:line 172 at System.Threading.LazyInitializer.EnsureInitializedCore[T](T& target, Boolean& initialized, Object& syncLock, Func`1 valueFactory) at Umbraco.Core.Runtime.MainDom.get_IsMainDom() in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Runtime\MainDom.cs:line 204 at Umbraco.Core.Runtime.CoreRuntime.AcquireMainDom(IMainDom mainDom) in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Runtime\CoreRuntime.cs:line 263 at Umbraco.Core.Runtime.CoreRuntime.Boot(IRegister register, DisposableTimer timer) in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Runtime\CoreRuntime.cs:line 169] System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +532 System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +111 System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +724

Jan 07, 2021 @ 13:47
    Ayo Adesina

I feel like im stuck on 8.5.5 for ever... what ever I do I can't get this upgrade to work.

• Liam Prowse 4 posts 79 karma points
    Jan 07, 2021 @ 13:49
    Liam Prowse

Hey, I came across this issue yesterday, removing this from my web.config fixed it for me :) I then re-added it after the upgrade was complete

<add key="Umbraco.Core.MainDom.Lock" value="SqlMainDomLock" />

Jan 07, 2021 @ 13:52
    Ayo Adesina

I actually tried that... still didn't work for me. What versions are you working with?

• Liam Prowse 4 posts 79 karma points
    Jan 07, 2021 @ 13:54
    Liam Prowse

I jumped from 8.4.2 to 8.10.1, this is the only change I had to make though :/ are you upgrading via nuget?

It's worth noting that I tried jumping in smaller upgrade steps too, i jumped to 8.6.4 first, without that flag in the web.config

• Jeroen Vantroyen 54 posts 394 karma points c-trib
    Jun 24, 2021 @ 07:18
    Jeroen Vantroyen

Going from 8.5.5 to 8.13, this was also the solution for me.

Thanks!

• Patrick van Kemenade 101 posts 339 karma points
    Jan 07, 2021 @ 14:14
    Patrick van Kemenade

Would also do it in smaller steps, had also a lot of issues going to 8.9.1 deleting the temp directory and on all main root nodes do a Publish with Descendants fixed things for me. Haven't updated to 8.10.x yet but not sure if much is added after 8.9.1.

Also when upgrading failed and you downgrade via nuget, als make sure you also reset the version number in web.config.

• Bo Jacobsen 597 posts 2395 karma points
    Oct 28, 2021 @ 07:08
    Bo Jacobsen

This error can also occur if the application do not have access to the database. So do also check your connection string and that the user is added and have access to the database.

• Kieron McIntyre 116 posts 359 karma points
    Dec 14, 2021 @ 10:23
    Kieron McIntyre

I had the same issue recently and it turns out that in my zeal for keeping the DB streamlined, I accidentally deleted the data from the [umbracoLock] table. These are the default values required:

INSERT [umbracoLock] ([value], [name], [id]) VALUES (1, N'MainDom', -1000)
    INSERT [umbracoLock] ([value], [name], [id]) VALUES (-1, N'Languages', -340)
    INSERT [umbracoLock] ([value], [name], [id]) VALUES (1, N'KeyValues', -339)
    INSERT [umbracoLock] ([value], [name], [id]) VALUES (1, N'Domains', -338)
    INSERT [umbracoLock] ([value], [name], [id]) VALUES (1, N'MemberTypes', -337)
    INSERT [umbracoLock] ([value], [name], [id]) VALUES (1, N'MediaTypes', -336)
    INSERT [umbracoLock] ([value], [name], [id]) VALUES (-1, N'MemberTree', -335)
    INSERT [umbracoLock] ([value], [name], [id]) VALUES (-1, N'MediaTree', -334)
    INSERT [umbracoLock] ([value], [name], [id]) VALUES (-1, N'ContentTree', -333)
    INSERT [umbracoLock] ([value], [name], [id]) VALUES (-1, N'ContentTypes', -332)
    INSERT [umbracoLock] ([value], [name], [id]) VALUES (1, N'Servers', -331)

This was admittedly a v9 project I was working on but the data is the same in a v8 project so I imagine that it would cause the same issue.

• Aday Rodriguez 3 posts 44 karma points
    Jan 11, 2024 @ 02:21
    Aday Rodriguez

I had the same issue now in umbraco 13 and it was solved by assigning full control permissions to IIS_IUSRS user on the hosting folder. Umbraco CMS requires access to delete, create, modify, and execute.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft