Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mikael Axel Kleinwort 140 posts 484 karma points c-trib
    Jan 06, 2021 @ 07:32
    Mikael Axel Kleinwort

How to do: Reusable Content (Global Content) for Content Editors

Dear Umbracoists,

I am struggling to find a good way to create the possibility for content editors to create and use reusable content.

I.e., a certain text block, or a widget like a call-to-action, appears on more than one page and content editor wants to store this in one location and use it from there, rather than duplicate the data or call a developer to create a hard-coded widget.

Ideally, I would have a section in the content tree where content editors can create one document per global content item. In a content page, I can then have a block list where content editors can select block items from several block types (element doc types) AND ALSO from this reusable content.

The way I found so far is to create an element type with a content picker which looks at the "global content" part of the content tree, and allow this element type in a blocklist, along with other allowed element types. This way, content editors can create a list of block content for new AND existing content.

So the questions I have is:

• has this already been "invented" for V8? I want to avoid reinventing the wheel. I saw that there is a feature called "Global Content" in Umbraco Uno, I guess I am looking for something like that for Umbraco CMS as a plugin

• if there is no existing solution, is my approach a good one or is there a better / easier way?

• in my solution, in the list of block ins the block list editor, content editors of course see the name of the "global content" element type, rather than the name of the selected global content item. How can I replace this with the data from a field of the global content element type, without doing angular stuff?

Any insight into this is greatly appreaciated!

Thank you, and have a good 2021.....

Mikael

• Huw Reddick 1702 posts 5999 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jan 06, 2021 @ 08:48
    Huw Reddick

I use macros for providing simple widgets, like the ones below

enter image description here

There is also the Doc Type Grid Editor for more complex stuff.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft