Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at


  • Jake Mander 2 posts 73 karma points
    1 week ago
    Jake Mander
    0

    Can't Access Backoffice: <BackOfficeModel>' does not contain a definition for 'GetExternalSignInProviderErrors'.

    Hi there,

    I'm currently working on an Umbraco V8.5.4 site having just pulled a branch over that a colleague was working on, and set up a copy of the database instance locally.

    The front of my website loads fine, however trying to access the backoffice and login screen results in the following exception:

    CS1061: 'ViewDataDictionary

    The compiler output is as follows:

    C:\Users\JakeMander\source\repos\HubSupportv8\umbraco\Views\Default.cshtml(119,64): error CS1061: 'ViewDataDictionary

    I've never come across this exception before, nor have I found any other solutions as of yet. I've tried rebuilding my solution, cleaning the bin of all content save for the Roslyn folder, and reinstalling the database instance however, this has failed to solve my issues.

    I've asked another colleague to try setting up the branch on their machine, and they've managed to set up fine.

    I'd be most grateful for any pointers anyone has :)

    Many thanks, Jake

  • Jason D 19 posts 40 karma points
    6 days ago
    Jason D
    0

    Same here. Updated Umbraco to 8.10.1

  • Jake Mander 2 posts 73 karma points
    5 days ago
    Jake Mander
    0

    Hi Jason,

    Had a bit of a think yesterday and I think i've figured it out.

    I think the issues is down to some really bad source control management by myself and the fact that, due to awaiting an Umbraco upgrade to be pushed up.

    I have two database instances, one is Umbraco 8.5.4 and the other is Umbraco 8.9.1. Some of my branches are work that has been committed for the 8.5.4 version, some of my branches are for the 8.9.1 upgrade.

    This is due to a holdup on the upgrade and the fact that it was my first time running a proper, full fat Umbraco upgrade... as a result, I found myself doing some really stupid things.

    We can't push our 5.4 stuff up till there's a content freeze. But we needed to upgrade to fix an Umbraco bug on our website, and ideally, the new work that's been asked of us should go straight to the upgraded site.

    So, with that in mind, what I should have done was just have two separate projects with each one pointing to it's respective databases. All the work I did for 8.5.4 should have stayed in the 8.5.4 project and tracked the work that was to be pushed to that branch, and vice versa for all work that was to be made after the upgrade. Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

    What actually happened was, I was just working off one database instance. I did the 8.5.4 work, then upgraded, and then did work for the 8.9.1 stuff.

    The issue is, when i pulled in work from the repo that my colleague had worked on on his 8.5.4. instance, or tried to do old 8.5.4 work that error would be thrown... This is because I suspect on these branches, there is some Umbraco 8.5.4 code trying to interface with the database instance that has upgraded to 8.9.1... which of course, just doesn't work.

    I also found that, if my connection string pointed to the wrong database instance, it would try and run a website upgrade. This would then fail, but cause this error to be thrown next time I tried to launch my site. So again, I assumed something has changed either in my code or in the database once the upgrade tries to run.

    With you saying you had the same issues after upgrading, I think it might be a big sign that your database instance may have been updated but your Umbraco code base is still stuck in the previous version (or vice versa).

    I know this was down to terrible practice by myself but one things for sure... I won't be making that mistake again!

    Here's a useful article on managing upgrades by Tiffany Proser

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft