Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Abdul Majid 10 posts 80 karma points
    Jan 18, 2021 @ 15:51
    Abdul Majid

Language variant site - how to translate between the variants

Hi, I know I can use Translation Manager to translate content node. But not sure if you can translate page using translation Contentor's API between language variants. If you can, can someone share how to do this... or if there is any other plugin that would translate language variant site.

• Kevin Jump 2311 posts 14696 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jan 18, 2021 @ 16:26
    Kevin Jump

Hi Abdul,

Translation Manager can be extended to talk to a translation service API with Connectors - this means you don't have to worry about getting the text content in and out of the umbraco properties and the translators just get the text they need to translate.

There isn't currently a connector for Translation Manager to the Contentor API, but I've taken a quick look at their API and I don't see a technical reason why there couldn't be one.

In theory anyone can write a connector, by implementing the ITranslationProvider interface from Translation Manager.

In practice we tend to be commissioned to write these connectors on behalf of the translation companies (or their clients). If you have a contact / account manager in Contentor we can have a chat with you/them about this.

feel free to drop me an email [email protected]

• Abdul Majid 10 posts 80 karma points
    Jan 19, 2021 @ 14:45
    Abdul Majid

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your response. Is it correct to say that the Translation Manager does not provide support for translating between language variant currently and that a connector(s) need to be written to extend the Translation Manager to enable translating between language variants?

You are also happy to write these connectors, if the work was commissioned?

• Kevin Jump 2311 posts 14696 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jan 19, 2021 @ 14:49
    Kevin Jump

Hi Abdul,

Translation manager does support translation between variants, that is included as part of the core product.

when creating a set, you set master and target as the time site, but different languages - and translations will be put into the relevant variant language.

This is implemented in a way which means the connectors don't need to know if they are translating between nodes or variants - they are only handling the source and target text - translation manager does the "where it goes" bit.

and yes if you need a connector for a specific translation provider we don't currently have then yes, we would happily do this work if commissioned to do so.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft