Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anthony Edge 26 posts 80 karma points
    Jan 18, 2021 @ 22:43
    Anthony Edge

More detail needed on how User Groups work in v7.15.5 please

Hey folks,

I have a site which has recently been upgraded to 7.15.5 where the per-User content permissions have been replaced by Group permission management.

I have many users who are only allowed edit access to single sections of the site, but are allowed to edit the various child nodes in that section as well as create new ones.

The Group permission system does not seem to allow me to select one of these sections and allow Group members to have permissions for all child nodes. I have to make rules, one at a time, for each child node. This is a big site with lots of sections and child nodes (and editor Groups needing different permissions). Is there a faster way?

My other question is, if an Admin or Member of another Group creates a child-node in one of these sections, will Users in other Groups inherit permission to edit that new child node? Or will an Admin have to find these new child-nodes and assign access to all existing Groups after the fact? This seems extremely tedious and very difficult to track and manage.

Any tips or documentation sources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, AE

• AddWeb Solution Pvt. Ltd 109 posts 360 karma points
    Jan 19, 2021 @ 07:38
    AddWeb Solution Pvt. Ltd

Hello Anthony,

(you need to check granular permissions that you set, to be inherited by the child pages of respective node) In your situation it seems like, When logged in as a user in respective group, the user can see the content tree structure and edit the one node they have permissions for, even create a new child node, but none of the child pages they have the same editable permissions. The permissions are not able to be inherited to the child pages, and when the user creates a new child page, the current usability requires an admin with user permissions to go in and add all the child pages individually to the granular permissions in order to allow them the ability to edit the child nodes. This makes the process a bit cumbersome and time consuming for content editors to manage their individual areas.

When a new user is created, you can set specific permissions for that user on different domains and subdomains. You can also set permissions on different user groups, even for the default types. Depending on which User group a user is added to, each User has a set of permissions associated with their accounts. These permissions either enable or disable a user's ability to perform its associated function. When a new user is created, you can set specific permissions for that user on different domains and subdomains. You can also set permissions on different user groups, even for the default types.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft