Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• louisjrdev 11 posts 84 karma points
    Jan 19, 2021 @ 19:36
    louisjrdev

Content API ala Heartcore in Umbraco

Personally I would like to see a content api offering in the open source edition of Umbraco, similar to Umbraco Heartcore.

I don't think HQ would take on something like this, but it would be great if the community could contribute an awesome feature like this. Would this be something that people are interested in?

I think in a time where more and more websites are using client side frameworks to server there frontend applications and more IOT devices / projects being built; this would be a great feature to have.

Depending on complexity the scope of this could fit into the new .Net Core version of umbraco, or in v8, or both.

What do people think?

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14324 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Jan 19, 2021 @ 20:04
    Marc Goodson

Hi louisjrdev

Have you had a look at either of these community packages?

https://github.com/rasmusjp/umbraco-graphql

And

https://github.com/mattbrailsford/umbraco-headrest

They are similar attempts to create a generic api over Umbraco published content, that might be handy for the sort of thing you are talking about.

Regards

Marc

Jan 19, 2021 @ 20:11
    louisjrdev

Yeah I have, but in my opinion this is something that should be in core, and be a switch it on and it works approach (no config, just enable) using the models builder models.

This is becoming a more standard expected functionality as time goes on. The overhead of a dependency on a package is less than ideal. As then you are depending on updates and version compatibility and an element of a backend developer skill set to get up and running with it.

I envision a future where a front-end developer can spin up an umbraco site, guided by the docs. Then add some content, and consume the content from the api, into their frontend application.

Also there is proof of concept in Heartcore itself.

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14324 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Jan 19, 2021 @ 20:43
    Marc Goodson

Hi louisjrdev

Ahh, sorry, yes get what you mean, nobody would argue against that!

I wasn't trying to say there were packages and so it shouldn't be in the core, just that community had made an effort to bring this functionality into Umbraco already, and that they may be a starting point, or common minded community members willing to contribute to something.

In terms of Heartcore, it isn't built directly on Umbraco, so it's not just a case of enabling what is built already 'to work' in a non-cloud Umbraco environment, there is a whole clever hosted distributed content layer, that is engineered to enable the API to scale and be queried in the Heartcore fashion.

But agree it would be great thing to exist!

Squidex is a similar kind of thing: https://squidex.io/ but not necessarily as nice an editing experience as Umbraco, but is .net core and api driven.

regards

Marc

Jan 19, 2021 @ 20:54
    louisjrdev

Hi Marc,

Indeed, they are some great concepts / packages for doing this and could be a great foundation for something like this.

I understand that this would not be a case of just enabling the Heartcore functionality as that is a separate project.

Although Heartcore is not built directly into Umbraco-CMS, it encompasses a larger scope of functionality than what I was initially suggesting.

I think that a community driven development of something like this could be achieved. (Possibly even easier with the net-core branch of Umbraco)

I have used Squidex extensively (even forked and created a client project over the top of it) and it certainly leaves a lot to be desired in terms of the editing experience.

This is why I think a content api similar to Heartcore and Squidex would be a great thing to see in core.

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Jan 19, 2021 @ 21:17
    Amir Khan

I agree that it should eventually be part of the core. Historically this has worked like Community develops awesome package > package gets lots of use > package gets adopted into core.

Think Nested Content as an example. I'm working on a project right now where there's a website and an app within the website that will require a headless integration into Umbraco and figuring out how to proceed.

• Jesper Ordrup 1019 posts 1528 karma points MVP
    Jan 19, 2021 @ 21:53
    Jesper Ordrup

I've used this quite a lot with succes.

https://github.com/deMD/UmbracoContentApi

/Jesper

• Comment author was deleted

Jan 21, 2021 @ 09:08

ow thanks for the tip, what does it output?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft