Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Erin Gibbs 9 posts 80 karma points
    Jan 19, 2021 @ 20:48
    Erin Gibbs

Updating Umbraco 7.14.0 to 7.15.6 - Hosted in an Azure App Service

Hello,

I am a little in over my head and am looking for some help for updating an Umbraco instance hosted in an Azure App Service. I have spent a lot of time trying to open the website in Visual Studio to push an update from the NuGet package manager, but I am struggling with that piece and was hoping someone here has done that, or has a better option?

Do I need to download the website locally, import it into a new project in Visual Studio, run the update, and then republish the new project?

Also, the reason I can't just upgrade to v8 is because I have a uSkinned theme that isn't compatible with v8 which is a whole other can of worms.

Any help is appreciated!

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jan 19, 2021 @ 22:55
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Erin

How do you deploy changes to the site? AzureDevops?

Alex

Jan 19, 2021 @ 23:28
    Erin Gibbs

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the quick response! All changes are made through the Umbraco Backoffice or FTP into the app service. I wish we would have used Azure DevOps, or even implemented source control, but a colleague and I put it together before I ever familiarized myself with git/source control.

Jan 20, 2021 @ 00:09
    Alex Skrypnyk

Be sure that you made a backup of the database and files before an upgrade!

You can't upgrade Umbraco via the backend.

NuGet or FTP are options.

It would be nice to have a local copy of the site and the database to make an update on the local machine before going to live - it will maybe solve some issues.

You can use NuGet if you have a visual studio solution.

FTP also can work, just download all files, make backups, and update /bin and /Umbraco folders as described in general upgrade plan - https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/getting-started/setup/upgrading/general

Jan 21, 2021 @ 18:51
    Erin Gibbs

This is very helpful. Thank you!!

Jan 21, 2021 @ 20:27
    Alex Skrypnyk

You are always welcome, please, share what are you struggling with, and we will help you.

Feb 03, 2021 @ 19:53
    Erin Gibbs

Hi Alex,

Over the weekend, I attempted the upgrade. I loaded a backup of the website into VS as a new "project using existing code". I'm not sure if that's where I went wrong, because I was able to install Umbraco v7.15.6 successfully via NuGet using the package manager console, but when I went to build it, it resulted in thousands of errors. Not sure where to go from there, or how to rebuild with the new instance of Umbraco. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks, Erin

• Michael Wetzel 5 posts 74 karma points
    Feb 05, 2021 @ 14:26
    Michael Wetzel

Useful information, thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft