Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• grep65535 1 post 21 karma points
    Jan 22, 2021 @ 22:48
    grep65535

Migration from 7.x to 8.x

We have an Umbraco 7.3.5 instance that we want to migrate to the latest 8.x version. It's running on a Windows server with IIS, with MS SQL Server backing it.

Is there an easy way to migrate the content up to 8.x? Can this be done by, for example, getting an 8.x instance running on a new server, with a new fresh 8.x database, and migrating data from the 7.x database to the 8.x one? We're actually in a position to do this, because the server's OS is over-due to be upgraded as well...and if a parallel approach is possible, that would be wonderful.

Has anybody defined a clear path to effectively jump from 7.3.5 level to 8.[anything]?

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14324 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Jan 23, 2021 @ 00:06
    Marc Goodson

Hi grep

Have you had a read through this page?

https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Upgrading/migrating-to-v8

There are a couple of packages mentioned here that make tje process smoother...

Regards

Marc

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1099 karma points
    Jan 28, 2021 @ 13:27
    Brendan Rice

I've just ran through a v7 to v8 upgrade, Marc's bang on with the official documentation, here's the steps I took:

1. Upgrade to 7.15
    2. Take backup of DB and code (git branch)
    3. Install the Pre-migration health checks
    4. Run the checks to make sure everything passes
    5. Install v8 into a new solution
    6. Go through the doctypes and update any "obsolete" properties in your Data Types and change them to their updated counterparts. Take backups of the DB so you can roll back at this stage
    7. Follow these steps

It took me a few goes to get it right and there was a bit of backwarding and forwarding but the process works.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft