Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chester Campbell 98 posts 209 karma points
    Jan 25, 2021 @ 23:52
    Chester Campbell

Visual Studio becomes unresponsive when installing the UmbracoForms 7.4.1 nuget package

I'm running Visual Studio Enterprise 2019 (Version 16.8.4) on a Windows 10 Pro (version 1909) computer.

In Visual Studio I create a new ASP.Net Web Application (.Net Framework) targeting framework 4.5.2. I select the 'empty' option.

Next I open the Nuget Package Manager window and install the UmbracoCMS.7.15.6 package. It, and its dependencies, install just fine.

Next I install the UmbracoForms.7.4.1 package and during the install Visual Studio hangs and becomes unresponsive. I let it sit for 15 minutes hoping it would right itself but it never does. My only recourse is to kill the task in the Task Manager.

In the output window I can see the following prior to having to kill the application:

Attempting to resolve dependencies for package 'UmbracoForms.7.4.1' with DependencyBehavior 'Lowest'
    Resolving dependency information took 0 ms
    Resolving actions to install package 'UmbracoForms.7.4.1'
    Resolved actions to install package 'UmbracoForms.7.4.1'
    Adding package 'EPPlus.4.0.5' to folder 'C:\temp_source\test\WebApplication4\packages'
    Added package 'EPPlus.4.0.5' to folder 'C:\temp_source\test\WebApplication4\packages'
    Added package 'EPPlus.4.0.5' to 'packages.config'
    Successfully installed 'EPPlus 4.0.5' to WebApplication4
    Adding package 'UmbracoForms.Core.7.4.1' to folder 'C:\temp_source\test\WebApplication4\packages'
    Added package 'UmbracoForms.Core.7.4.1' to folder 'C:\temp_source\test\WebApplication4\packages'
    Added package 'UmbracoForms.Core.7.4.1' to 'packages.config'
    Successfully installed 'UmbracoForms.Core 7.4.1' to WebApplication4
    Adding package 'UmbracoForms.7.4.1' to folder 'C:\temp_source\test\WebApplication4\packages'
    Added package 'UmbracoForms.7.4.1' to folder 'C:\temp_source\test\WebApplication4\packages'

Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone else recreate it? I can recreate it consistently, but perhaps it's something to do with my environment?

• Chester Campbell 98 posts 209 karma points
    Mar 15, 2021 @ 23:57
    Chester Campbell

I'm posting this in case someone else has a similar problem. I decided to do a repair using the Visual Studio Installer tool. I am now able to install the Umbraco Forms nuget package.

Not sure what exactly the repair did to fix the issue but in this case the hammer hit the right nail.

For what it's worth ... the repair removes all your VS Extensions. I decided to re-install only two of my previous extensions because they were the only two that seemed really useful to my workflow. They are Codemaid and Web Compiler. After re-installing them I am still able to install the Umbraco Forms nuget package so I don't think they were part of the original problem. But perhaps one of the other VS Extensions was? We'll never know because I don't have enough time to waste re-installing them all and troubleshooting.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft