Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Damien Holley 179 posts 540 karma points
    Jan 27, 2021 @ 02:30
    Damien Holley

High cpu spikes on export from forms

I am getting CPU spikes up to over 100% on an Azure instance whenever someone exports a form, This may be leading to the site getting a system.io exception (with forms unable to write to the file as it is 'in use')

2 peaks here are when I exported the one form a couple of different times. enter image description here

Any ideas what is going on? This is Umbraco 7.15.5 & Forms 7.4.1

• AddWeb Solution Pvt. Ltd 109 posts 360 karma points
    Jan 27, 2021 @ 10:20
    AddWeb Solution Pvt. Ltd

Hello Damien,

The following factors are common in a high-CPU situation:

A recent code change or deployment that is mostly applicable to apps such as Internet Information Services (IIS), Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft SQL Server, or third-party applications.

A recent update that might be related to an OS-level update, or to application-level cumulative updates and fixes.

A query change or outdated indexes. SQL Server and Oracle data tier applications also have a query plan optimization as another factor. Data changes or a lack of appropriate indexes can cause several queries to become more compute-intensive.

Azure VM-specific. There are certain processes such as RDAgent, and extension-specific processes such as Monitoring Agent, MMA agent, or Security client, that can cause high-CPU consumption. These processes must be viewed from either a configuration or known issues perspective.

• Damien Holley 179 posts 540 karma points
    Jan 28, 2021 @ 01:07
    Damien Holley

Yes, however no new updates to the site, we noticed a couple of downtimes, then in the logs it couldn't process the export from Umbraco Forms around when it crashed so I tested exporting the data from that form.

The graph is what was observed whenever I exported data from Umbraco Forms, so I wondered if this was a known issue or if someone else has seen this behaviour from Forms as it would indicate poor framing of the queries, multiple queries being run (when one should do), or code issues.

Please note this is the WebApp service not the SQL Service's metrics, so this is hitting the webapp hard which inclines me to think it is a code issue.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft