Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bobi 346 posts 950 karma points
    Jan 31, 2021 @ 00:48
    Bobi

Umbraco Nuget Installation

When installing umbraco through Nuget in Visual Studio do you have to include all folders and documents in the project that are initially hidden (right click include in project)? Everything from App_Data to Views?

• Malthe Petersen 68 posts 383 karma points c-trib
    Jan 31, 2021 @ 15:29
    Malthe Petersen

Hi Bobi.

You don't have to include anything that is not initially included, unless you have to use the of course. So if you need to add a plugin, then include the App_Plugins folder, otherwise just leave it as is.

Regards Malthe

Jan 31, 2021 @ 18:08
    Bobi

Hi,

What about for deploying to the server from Visual Studio. I noticed that a lot of folders and files are not included in the Visual Studio project like (App_Data, etc.) when installing into an empty C sharp web application in Visual Studio. Why is that and should they all be included?

-Thanks

Jan 31, 2021 @ 18:22
    Malthe Petersen

If you need to deploy directly from vs you should deploy all needed folders and files, including AppPlugins and AppData.

And why they are not included on install, I cannot answer, but my guess is, that they are built when Umbraco publishes to NuGet and therefore, not included in the csproj. It has no real impact whether they are included or not, when installed. If you need them, simply just include them. :-)

Jan 31, 2021 @ 18:23
    Bobi

Thank you! So I assume all of the "hidden" files and folders need to be included to properly run the CMS on deploy?

Jan 31, 2021 @ 18:34
    Malthe Petersen

Most likely. If they contain something, if they are empty you can just leave them alone. :-)

Happy to help!

• Kevin Jump 2311 posts 14697 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Feb 01, 2021 @ 07:48
    Kevin Jump

Hi,

When you install via nuget Umbraco has a .target file it adds to the visual studio project file that copies the folders you don't see (like the Umbraco folder) as part of a post build thing.

This means when you deploy those folders are included in anything visual studio or msbuild builds.

so you don't need to include them visual studio but they will be there for deployment.

Feb 01, 2021 @ 17:38
    Bobi

Thank you! That's helpful.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft