Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• lori ryan 239 posts 573 karma points
    Feb 05, 2021 @ 21:08
    lori ryan

Language Variant - copy "English" page to other language

Is there any way to copy the whole english page to the other language? I have a grid on the page and I dont seem to be able to copy it.

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Feb 06, 2021 @ 10:42
    Marc Goodson

Hi Lori

On a couple of sites with variants now, I've set it up so that the variant is pre-populated when it is first created with property values from the 'default language' eg English.

In some circumstances, depending on who is translating, this was preferred to side by side editing.

And particularly when there are complex property editors, eg the grid or nested content - the editor is happy to translate the text, but doesn't want to have to redo the layout!

The way I'd do this is using the EditorModelEventManager SendingContentModel event - that gives you access to all the variants, and their status, 'before' the page is displayed to the Editor 'for editing'.

I've written a 'broader' blog post about using this even to filter which languages an editor can see:

http://tooorangey.co.uk/posts/umbraco-v8-variants-and-limiting-editor-access-by-language-an-adventure-story/

but it also contains an example under the heading 'populating default values for variants' that might give you inspiration for how this could be done.

regards

marc

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Feb 07, 2021 @ 11:16
    Kevin Jump

Hi Lori,

There is an option to do this in Translation Manager (it would be really nice in the core )

If a node hasn't been sent to translation yet (if its out for translation then the content will populate from the job when it is returned) - Then there will be a "clone" option that will copy all of the default culture proprieties to the selected language.

enter image description here

The code isn't super complex - i think i have it available somewhere, the real issue is where you put the button, which is why we made it part of the translation manager tool.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft