Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• SkyTheLine 33 posts 103 karma points
    Feb 16, 2021 @ 14:27
    SkyTheLine

Umbraco 8 Database Schema

Hi there

Is there a DB Schema from v8?

I found some forum posts, but didn't found a picture/pdf from it.

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/extending/database/

• Huw Reddick 1737 posts 6098 karma points MVP c-trib
    Feb 16, 2021 @ 18:59
    Huw Reddick

Is there a particular reason you require a schema diagram? I wouldn't recommend working directly with database other than adding custom tables. Interacting directly with the umbraco tables isn't supported and could cause issues, better to work with the built in methods. If you feel confident interacting with it directly then you should be able to generate your own schema from the database.

Feb 16, 2021 @ 19:16
    SkyTheLine

Hi Reddick

I'm coming from Wordpress and thought to create own plugins. So when umbraco got already tables, that i would use them.

like wp_users and umbracos members.

My plan is to create a custom booking solution and later to publish that free.

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1099 karma points
    Feb 16, 2021 @ 19:41
    Brendan Rice

In Umbraco you don't deal directly with the database tables. There is essentially an API on top.

Here's a few links:

1. Extending the back office and creating packages/plugins
    2. Services - the API layer
    Feb 16, 2021 @ 19:49
    Huw Reddick

As Brendan says, you can accomplish what you need just using the back office tools and the services.

Another good place to look is the available packages, most of them have source code available you can look at to work out how stuff is done.

And post questions here if you get stuck, lots of people willing to help

Feb 16, 2021 @ 20:01
    SkyTheLine

Hi Brendan

thanks for the links.

So for my understanding, i should create new tables, so that umbraco and custom tables are seperated and safe.

My Case is this:

I want to create a booking tool for events:

the user should can do:

• create Event Item
    • comment on Event Items
    • rate the Event Item
    • select Packages from the Event Item (food, hotel, etc.)
    • have a small user page with his coming Events and countdown

My thought was, that i can use members Table, create a Comment Table with the Event Item ID. And don't know how would Umbraco handle ACL with the rights.

For the Event Item ID itself name, location,.. that would be also easy.

Later list them under the users page with a simply countdown.

Feb 16, 2021 @ 20:37
    Huw Reddick

You shouldn't need to create any custom tables to do this. Checkout the forum package I recently posted it should give you an ide to start what you are looking for. It has membership with different levels where users can create posts and comments. Your Moodle is pretty similar you would just need to extend it to fit your needs but it essentially has the functionality you are looking for.

Feb 16, 2021 @ 20:38
  • Brendan Rice 538 posts 1099 karma points
    Feb 16, 2021 @ 20:44
    Brendan Rice

There are times where you will want to create you're own tables.

Its a common anti-pattern to try and use Umbraco for your use case. Umbraco calls this volatile data as it changes a lot.

If I was designing this, I'd hook into Umbraco's membership services for user management, but I'd create my own tables for anything around the events/bookings with the user id being stored against the records where it makes sense.

Feb 16, 2021 @ 21:19
    Huw Reddick

I would agree with Brendan once again, it all depends how scalable it needs to be. The forum was originally designed for low volume traffic and would not scale well. I too would create custom tables for the forums and posts if it was to be a public facing site, might even do that for the next version :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft