Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ayo Adesina 430 posts 1023 karma points
    Feb 23, 2021 @ 22:52
    Ayo Adesina

Umbraco 8 Bug? Duplicate Members

Hi guys,

I think I have found a bug in Umbraco (V8.10.1)

If you add a member twice in the back office with the same username and same email. Even though Umbraco throws and error about a duplicate. - If you check the list of members you will find that the member exists twice.

This is the same if you create a member programmatically. Umbraco throws an exception, but the member still ends up in the db... is this a bug? or am I missing something?

I am going to change my code to look for the member first before trying to create a new one. - if this is a bug this is a pretty major one.

• Huw Reddick 1737 posts 6098 karma points MVP c-trib
    Feb 24, 2021 @ 11:44
    Huw Reddick

I have tried to replicate your issue in the back office but umbraco does not save the second member if I try to add one with the same username and email. I will check what happens in code, but the back office definitely doesn't allow me to save it.

Feb 24, 2021 @ 11:50
    Huw Reddick

not able to replicate in code either, it just doesn't save the second user.

Feb 24, 2021 @ 12:16
    Huw Reddick

ignore previous reply, I forgot my code did a check :)

I can confirm that in code it does allow me to create a member with a duplicate username and email, just not from the back office.

• Ayo Adesina 430 posts 1023 karma points
    Feb 24, 2021 @ 12:37
    Ayo Adesina

I will create a quick video, becuase it definitaely happens in the back office too. - It will throw an exception... but then if you go and look at the members list... you will find a duplicate member.

Feb 24, 2021 @ 13:03
    Huw Reddick

I tested that in both 8.10.1 and 8.11.1 and it doesn't save the member for me in the back office, it just refuses to save as expected.

• Harry Gordon 15 posts 92 karma points c-trib
    Nov 14, 2022 @ 12:07
    Harry Gordon

For anyone else interested in this issue, there is a ticket on Github. It does not look like it will be addressed.

Nov 15, 2022 @ 15:04
    Huw Reddick

In my code, I just check that the username is not already registered and return a 'username is already registered' error instead of creating a new member

var member = Members.GetByUsername(model.username);
    if(member != null){
                        error = "A member is already registerd with this username";
                        return false;
    }

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft