Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tim C 161 posts 528 karma points
    Feb 26, 2021 @ 07:29
    Tim C

Installing Umbraco CMS Windows 10 - which version of IIS

I have been learning Umbraco on a hosted service in the past, but now want to install it on a dedicated Windows 10 Pro machine for speed of access.

The installation instructions recommend using IIS Express but I have read this only allows you to access pages on 'localhost' and they can't be accessed on remote machines.

Ideally, I would like to be able to access and test sites I build on other machines on my lan (including mobile devices eg Android).

Doesn't Windows have IIS inbuilt (in additional Windows features)? Can I use this, and will this let me access sites from other machines?

Not sure how to configure Umbraco/IIS - please help!

• Huw Reddick 1737 posts 6098 karma points MVP c-trib
    Feb 26, 2021 @ 07:35
    Huw Reddick

Yes windows has iiS, it isn't installed by default so will need adding but is fairly simple to enable and setup. Once setup it is even simpler to setup umbraco.

Obviously you will need a domain name to point at your machine and an SSL certificate.

Feb 26, 2021 @ 07:38
    Tim C

Great, thanks.

Obviously you will need a domain name to point at your machine and an SSL certificate.

Presumably only if I intend to access sites from the internet? Not needed if I just browse to them from devices on the same internal LAN?

• Huw Reddick 1737 posts 6098 karma points MVP c-trib
    Feb 26, 2021 @ 07:47
    Huw Reddick

Correct, you won't need either if it is just internal.

Feb 26, 2021 @ 07:49
    Tim C

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft