Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Hubert 9 posts 39 karma points
    Feb 26, 2021 @ 13:57
    Hubert

How to manage the search indexes?

Hello

I'd like to know how to manipulate the search results.

For example - I have declared multiple collections for reusable stuff like banners or addresses which are plain objects, without templates. As so, they are published and have URLs, but when someone navigates to them, they (properly) show 404.

We have banners named like people who are depicted on them (manager etc.), so whenever somebody puts one of their names into the search box, the engine responds with a banner URL and navigation ends with 404.

What I'd like is to remove these (ie- prohibit scanning the Collections node as the parent of all my side content) or - better - to make the index aware of the banner/person being connected with the page where it's placed, thus this one could be safely returned in the search results.

The second issue is with the PDF documents we have. They are not in the Media, but a separate folder and linked on one of the pages (simple script on the page enumerating files and formulating links). How to make the search engine being aware of them?

• Simon Ulmbrant 34 posts 154 karma points
    Feb 26, 2021 @ 20:44
    Simon Ulmbrant

If I understand you correctly you want to exclude some content from the index (banners etc.) and indexing external files (pdf).

Here is a post about excluding content:

https://our.umbraco.com/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/99816-examine-how-does-one-exclude-node-types-from-indexing

And a part for indexing external content (whole article is great):

https://skrift.io/issues/examine-in-umbraco-8/

• Hubert 9 posts 39 karma points
    Mar 01, 2021 @ 09:29
    Hubert

Hello Simon

Looks like this is exactly what I was looking for :)

Thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft