Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• kajul 10 posts 90 karma points
    Mar 03, 2021 @ 04:33
    kajul

umbraco content migration v6 to v8

is it possible to migrate our contents from umbraco v6 to v8 ?

since, i've explored lot of sites & the forums they mostly spoke about content migration from v7 to v8 not v6.

i think that upgrading v6 to v7 and then go for content migration from v7 to v8 is a long and time consuming process.

so can anyone help me out.

thanks in advance,

kajul

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Mar 03, 2021 @ 10:25
    Steve Morgan

Hi,

Your two choices are to do a stepped upgrade from v6 -> v7 -> v8 following the upgrade guide - if you do the version jumps as recommended and there isn't too much custom code / package use then it can be very simple.

Or rebuild the site in v8 and then import the content from the old site.

The correct solution and time saving will really depend on the type of site you're importing. If there are members etc how many content nodes, different numbers of doc types dependant on the use of legacy packages / custom code in the v6 Umbraco site.

The best and quickest thing to do will be to follow the upgrade guide in a local copy of the site and see what needs doing.

HTH

Steve

Mar 03, 2021 @ 11:14
    kajul

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your valuable reply !! it means a lot !!

It helps me to get a clear idea about migration.

I am having some set of queries, could you help me to sort out

1. For v7 to v8, there is a content migration tool but for v6 to v7 is there any thing to do with migration
    2. Kindly can you suggest me some of the sites/post/articles to do sequential migration steps for my case.
    3. where i can find database in umbraco?
    4. where the contents get stored in umbraco?
    5. Also if we rebuild the site and migrate the content to new site means , what about the database? what we gonna do for it?

i'm not sure in my queries about database. if im wrong correct me plz

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Mar 04, 2021 @ 17:10
    Steve Morgan
    1. See below
    2. https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/getting-started/setup/upgrading/version-specific
    3. You'll most likely have a MS-SQL server referenced in the web.config - there's a chance you have a SQL CE file instead. Here lies pain.
    4. In the DB and the media folder mostly.
    5. Either upgrade the solution which will bring the DB up to date. Or if you build a new solution - then import the data using either CMS import or write your own API and use the Content Service - how much work this is depends on the complexity of the site.
    Mar 06, 2021 @ 06:46
    kajul

Hi steve,

Thanks ya, your answers helps me a lot !

Can you just explain me a few things which I was very keen to know about it and also i will be very helpful for me to go forward !

1. Which is the stable version in umbraco 8 ?
    2. If I'm in umbraco 8.1.0 means I would like to switch over to umbraco 8.7.0 means, what i need to do ( I have to upgrade or migrate) ?
    3. In the old umbraco versions, I'm using some third party plugin like ex: payment gateway means it will support me in new version of umbraco after I did migration or upgrade?
    4. Steps for migration/upgrade is same or different in umbraco on-premises and cloud platform?

1. Which is the minimum version of MSSQL & SQL CE in umbraco 8 migration?

2. Any plugin's available to error check or checking breaking changes in code in umbraco 8 or above?

Thanks in advance,

Kajul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft