Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Naveed Ahmad 9 posts 99 karma points
    Mar 04, 2021 @ 11:41
    Naveed Ahmad

How to upgrade umbraco version 7.4.2 to version 8+

Dear developers, I have a Umbraco project implemented with the version of 7.4.2. Now I want to update the Umbraco version to latest due to performance issues.

My site is multilingual using Vorto.

1. If I update the latest version what are the things I need to consider?
    2. What are the steps to follow without losing data and files.

Any best solution to this problem.

Thank you. Naveed

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Mar 04, 2021 @ 23:21
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Naveed

There is no way to do a direct upgrade from version 7 to version 8.

Vorto doesn't work in v8; in v8, you'll have a built-in multilingual feature - so you probably need to rewrite all language-related stuff on the site.

You can do a content migration. But you probably have to rewrite all your logic.

Here are official docs about migration - https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/getting-started/setup/upgrading/migrating-to-v8

Thanks,

Alex

Mar 05, 2021 @ 07:15
    Naveed Ahmad

Thanks Alex.

Mar 12, 2021 @ 13:05
    Naveed Ahmad

Hi,

That's seems to be solution, but I have not applied any change and cancelled my plan to upgrade because we have no time and budget to re-work a lot to make it compatible with version 8 to get only performance improvement. So I am theoretically marking this answer as Solution.

Thanks.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Mar 15, 2021 @ 21:51
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Naveed

Many companies do not upgrade sites from v7 to v8 because of a lack of time or budget. Not so many benefits to migrate. Let's wait for Umbraco 9 later this year. It would be a great time to upgrade.

Thanks,

Alex

Mar 17, 2021 @ 07:35
    Naveed Ahmad

Hi Alex,

For us, performance is a major issue. In some cases we generated price list, you can say 200 to 300 records. For each item, programmatically or from back office, Save and Publish event took almost second. In this way, our one action take 200 to 300 seconds. In production, Cloud flare timeout our page request. Also this is not fair user experience.

Do not you think this is a genuine issue with Umbraco 7 ? (we are using 7.4.2)

Thanks! Naveed

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft