Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jon 7 posts 88 karma points
    Mar 08, 2021 @ 23:37
    Jon

I've got a user table for comments to my web site. I want to check a new comment to insure that I don't have duplicate names with the same email. I've written a method that calls the following:

string theSql = "select userEmail from userComments " +
                            "where userName = \'" + name + "\' and userEmail != \'" + email + "\'";
            IList<string> result = theDB.Fetch<string>(theSql);

If the email is '[email protected]' it throws an error that parameter @foo does not have a value. When I run the same code in SQL Server Management studio it works fine. I'm using version 7.28

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1100 karma points
    Mar 09, 2021 @ 00:26
    Brendan Rice

Hey Jon,

have a look at the docs below:

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Tutorials/Creating-Tables-for-Umbraco-with-PetaPoco/

It seems like you're looking for something like this:

List<string> result = db.Fetch<string>("select userEmail from userComments where userName = @0 and userEmail != @1", name, email);

I hope this helps...

• Jon 7 posts 88 karma points
    Mar 09, 2021 @ 15:24
    Jon

Thanks Brendan - that fixed it. Thanks also Dan and Nik for your help.

• Daniel Pazos 12 posts 123 karma points
    Mar 09, 2021 @ 09:52
    Daniel Pazos

If Brendan's answer doesn't work for you, you can try formating ths string with $.

For example:

List<string> result = db.Fetch<string>($"select userEmail from userComments where userName = '{name}' and userEmail != '{email}'");

Don't forget to wrap the strings in single quotes.

• Nik 1599 posts 7179 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Mar 09, 2021 @ 09:57
    Nik

Hey Jon,

Please, please, please, read the comments from Brendan and Daniel carefully.

You're current approach is potentially open to SQL injection attack depending where the values for "name" and "email" are coming from. Even wrapping in ' won't stop someone putting ' in inputs and escaping your SQL to cause harm.

Brendans approach is the better one as as it is using parameters to safely query the data.

Thanks

Nik

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1100 karma points
    Mar 09, 2021 @ 10:58
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft