Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul 19 posts 99 karma points
    Mar 15, 2021 @ 12:20
    Paul

Can anyone tell me what search engine? Umbraco V8 uses and if there are articles, links so i can learn a little more about it

Primarily, we need to be able to search synonyms as the area in which we work has a lot of technical words and phases which have the same meaning on different words

These might be medical terms, so one term might mean the same as another and we would need a DB of these matching terms

Another feature requested is a search filter on the page after a search has been performed. Maybe on the left-hand side or as a top bar. Is this possible?

Thanks

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1100 karma points
    Mar 15, 2021 @ 19:37
    Brendan Rice

Underneath it's Lucene, with a layer on top called Examine:

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/reference/searching/examine/

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Mar 15, 2021 @ 20:22
    Amir Khan

And for the filtering you might find this helpful: https://our.umbraco.com/packages/website-utilities/examine-facets/

• Paul 19 posts 99 karma points
    Mar 17, 2021 @ 11:11
    Paul

Thanks everyone

This question has been asked on a higher level i.e. we have an external provider who is going to upgrade and rebuild our site

The search function and filter that I think is required will be created by them

What I would need to know as part of the groundwork, is what would we need to do to build custom indexes or even use the built in ones for specific content

I know we can set examine to index, page names, tags, nodes, fields etc but we dont know what we should collect to help the developers with this task

I would assume we would need some form of backend field that we could use for name-value pairs???

Can create a text file for any synonyms that we might want paired? And then how do the devs use this data? Can the search work on text files or would each resource need to have them added individually to the back-end?

Sorry Umbraco beginner

And thanks for any help

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft