Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• bikeman 21 posts 104 karma points
    Mar 19, 2021 @ 10:30
    bikeman

Responsive media library

Is there a package that creates mobile versions of images in the media library as they are added?

Would serving mobile versions of images require reworking all our macros, widgets and the RTE editor to add image srcsets? Is there a quicker way?

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Mar 19, 2021 @ 10:39
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Bikeman,

Did you look at

https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Tutorials/Editors-Manual/Media-Management/Cropping-Images/

https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Getting-Started/Design/Rendering-Media/

You can crop your images when rendering. So no need to store different image sizes in the media library.

Dave

• Erik Eelman 79 posts 319 karma points
    Mar 19, 2021 @ 10:41
    Erik Eelman

Hi Bikeman,

You could use the build in ImageCropper and create some crops for the images via: Image Cropper Umbraco

You can also combine this with srcsets as described here: Responsive images with umbraco

Erik

• bikeman 21 posts 104 karma points
    Mar 19, 2021 @ 13:13
    bikeman

Just to be clear, I'm not asking about cropping images.

Content editors upload one image suitable for desktop. I want smaller versions automatically created suitable for smaller devices. I want this done automatically rather than relying on the content editors doing this manually.

I had a quick look at the 24days.in article re using imgsrc. My first thought is that's an awful lot of coding. It's not entirely clear what the article is doing but unless I am mistaken they are creating a macro which outputs the srcset html for editors to paste into RTEs? Thereby creating a two stage editing process - that seems a very long winded approach.

It would be preferable to modify every macro, widget and editor Including the built in RTE but I fear that this is would be somewhat impractical.

I wasn't expecting this to be so difficult. You do know that other CMS have this stuff built in?

• Erik Henningson 3 posts 23 karma points
    Oct 05, 2021 @ 14:43
    Erik Henningson

Don't know if this solution will work for you. It doesn't cover images added in the RTE, though...

Currently only for Umbraco 9+, but could quite easily be made available for Umbraco 8 if requested.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft