Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• randy 7 posts 87 karma points
    Apr 21, 2021 @ 18:24
    randy

Hi, total noob here, but what's the difference between the Umbraco browser-based CMS and the app? I inherited management of a website built by another company and I've never used Umbraco before, only Kentico where I could do everything from the browser-based cms interface; never had to download an app to use the CMS. Also, I'm on a MacOs 10.15 so I'm reading that to install the Umbraco app, I need to be in a Microsoft environment, is that true? If so, any recommendations on best practices ? Thanks!

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1100 karma points
    Apr 21, 2021 @ 20:21
    Brendan Rice

It depends what changes you've been asked to make. Can you give more details?

If it is simple changes and you can access the Umbraco admin you might be able to get away without a local development environment.

• randy 7 posts 87 karma points
    Apr 21, 2021 @ 20:38
    randy

I need to edit the header and footer sections of the website. Through the browser-based Umbraco, I can see/edit most of the page content, media, and links, but I am not able to get into the templates or stylesheets which is where I'm guessing I can edit the headers and footers.

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1100 karma points
    Apr 22, 2021 @ 10:28
    Brendan Rice

You should be able to get into that from the Umbraco admin unless your user doesn't have the correct permissions.

It seems like reading through the docs would really help you get an understanding of how Umbraco works, where the templates live etc:

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Tutorials/Creating-Basic-Site/

Hope this helps.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft