Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Enrique Capellan 40 posts 173 karma points
    Apr 23, 2021 @ 18:39
    Enrique Capellan

Use azure manage identity

I have a client that is trying to be as secure as possible, he requested me not to use a connection string with SqlServer credentials on the web.config or azure, and use azure manage identity to connect the database.

I've been looking for a way to do that, but I haven't found anything that really helps, do you guys have any idea I can implement to do that?

The problem is that Umbraco manage the SQL connection internally, I don't find a way to authenticate using the azure libraries.

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Apr 24, 2021 @ 13:29
    Marc Goodson

Hi Enrique

Would they be happy if you stored the SQL connection string in Azure Key Vault?

There is an article here (albeit for DNN) that explains how.

https://intelequia.com/blog/post/2070/storing-azure-app-service-secrets-on-azure-key-vault

With this approach the connection string credentials aren't stored in the web.config, but as far as Umbraco is concerned 'nothing has changed'....

regards

Marc

• Jay 415 posts 641 karma points
    May 27, 2022 @ 07:09
    Jay

Hey Marc, do you know if there's a way to overcome the issue that the Azure Automated backup is not working after using Azure Key Vault for connection string? thanks

• Gunnar Már Óttarsson 11 posts 47 karma points
    Nov 10, 2021 @ 15:16
    Gunnar Már Óttarsson

I would be interested in this as well, even though Azure Key Vault usually solves the core customer request.

I imagine the dependency on NPoco 4.0.2 is to blame. When Umbraco upgrade to NPoco 5 we start using Microsoft.Data.SqlClient and then Managed Identity authentication should be trivial.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft