Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Asaf 2 posts 72 karma points
    Apr 26, 2021 @ 13:03
    Asaf

Moving from Angular 10 to Umbraco

Hello everyone, I am angular developer in the last 3 years, and now start my way in umbraco. I need an explanation about the structure of project in Umbraco , is it similar to angular (components etc)? Thanks!

• Martin Griffiths 826 posts 1269 karma points c-trib
    Apr 27, 2021 @ 16:34
    Martin Griffiths

Hi Asaf

Umbraco is broken down into many facets and offerings and your needs as a developer/implementer will be deciding factor on what you'll need to learn.

First of all as an open source project you can download the entire solution and manipulate as you see fit. This would require in-depth knowledge of .net and AngularJS v1.x. You can contribute back to the project which is always welcomed! :-)

Structurally, you don't need ANY programming knowledge to build an Umbraco Schema, or in the world of Umbraco a set of document types that contain properties which are made up of datatypes! This is all done in the backoffice user interface. You can script it down afterwards and there are many tools to do this. In the cloud this is automated for you and you can pass schema and content from one build to another.

I suggest you take a trip to www.umbraco.com and look up all of the options so that you can make a decision about where you go next.

At a glance...

Umbraco Uno - The lowest barrier to entry, requires little or no programming skill/knowledge.

Umbraco Cloud - Requires knowledge of ASP.net MVC and getting to grips with the many APIs in Umbraco. Razor, HTML, CSS and JavaScript is a given for building out the pages (views). If you want to manipulate the back office you'll need knowledge of AngularJS 1.x. Generally, you build the project locally (it's all git managed) and deploy the project to Umbraco cloud. Again, depending on your needs and budget there are many options available.

Umbraco HeartCore Insert your favourite front-end framework here. A headless CMS with a managed REST API, Graph QL and CDN. You can use Angular 10 here to build out any kind of content (doesn't necessarily have to be web pages) if that's what you're most comfortable with. This solution completely decouples the CMS from the end-point.

Umbraco CMS Operates in the same way as Umbraco Cloud, but you'll completely maintain your own codebase in VisualStudio and deploy the entire project to your own server or use an out of the box hosting provider. In my own experience best managed from VS2019, Git/TFS, nuget and npm. It's worth a note that you'll need to use a 3rd party tool to pass schema and content across multiple builds if you go this route. uSync is the tool for this. You can download umbraco CMS free here.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft