Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Taslemul 3 posts 73 karma points
    May 04, 2021 @ 10:02
    Taslemul

Help setting up a pre existing website on Visual Studio Code

Hi everyone, I’m new to Umbraco and I’d like some advice on how to set it up. Before reading please note that I’m using company laptop so I don’t have admin privileges. So if there’s anything I need to install which requires admin privileges then please let me know.

To start with, I’ve been hired as the first front end web developer for an established company. They went through the effort of installing visual studio code and the usual corporate stuff. I’ve been given my log in details for the browser based CMS but I’m just wondering how I would go about installing it? Where can I access code that applies to me (HTML, CSS, Js & C#)? How do I set it up on visual studio code? I’ve ran into problems with IIS as it just gives me a ‘cant connect to local network’ type error when I try running a locally downloaded Umbraco zip. Is there a way of making changes to the website offline once set up?

Thank you, Taz

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    May 04, 2021 @ 15:55
    Amir Khan

Pretty thorough guide here but basically for the front end files, templates, views, etc you'll either need to grab that from the live site or hopefully you have access to a repository with everything in it.

Guide on VS Code: https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/getting-started/setup/install/install-umbraco-with-vs-code

• Taslemul 3 posts 73 karma points
    May 05, 2021 @ 11:08
    Taslemul

Hi Amir,

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by grab it from the live site? As in, go to the website online and copy and paste the source code?

The guide you provided was the one I’ve been going around in circles with. I make my way to step 6 (CTRL + F5 one) and I get the error: localhost refused to connect ERRCONNECTIONREFUSED on chrome.

I will say, I don’t have ASP.NET installed as I don't have privileges to do so. Not sure if that helps.

Thanks, Taz

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft