Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan Evans 629 posts 1016 karma points
    May 06, 2021 @ 06:42
    Dan Evans

Intermittant boot failed error

I've noticed that occasionally when the server reboots one site fails to come back up, with this error:

Umbraco.Core.Exceptions.BootFailedException: A connection string is configured but Umbraco could not connect to the database.

I'm assuming that this is because SQL has not fully started when Umbraco attempts to connect.

The problem is that the site stays down until the app pool is recycled then its fine.

Should the site not attempt to boot again on the next request rather than staying down?

• Remko 118 posts 283 karma points
    Oct 14, 2021 @ 07:38
    Remko

Hi Dan,

Did you manage to solve this issue? We are still struggeling with this and would really like to end this annoying boot failed pages we get in the morning after nightly maintenance.

• Dan Evans 629 posts 1016 karma points
    Oct 14, 2021 @ 08:47
    Dan Evans

No proper resolution - it still occurs randomly. I resolved it by scheduling an app restart shortly after any scheduled server reboot which kicks the site back into life.

• Remko 118 posts 283 karma points
    Oct 14, 2021 @ 08:50
    Remko

Alright.. We were also planning this kind of solution, but I'm actually not really happy with this work-around. Doesn't anyone know how to solve this properly?

• Nicolas Darren Chetty 1 post 71 karma points
    Feb 17, 2022 @ 11:30
    Nicolas Darren Chetty

Hi all, I had this issue and solved it by changing my SQL settings. When I could connect to the SQL using the SQL Authentication I knew it was solved.

This did the trick for me: Open SQL Server Management Studio Log in with Windows Authentication with an administrative account. On the Object Explorer window right click on the server name and go to Properties. Select the Security section. Under Server Authentication change the selection from Windows Authentication mode to SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode. Click Ok

• Chris Speakman 17 posts 151 karma points
    Aug 25, 2023 @ 14:59
    Chris Speakman

Resurrecting an old thread here but we consistently had this problem on one of our servers with several sites trying to startup before SQL had finished starting up.

I resolved it in Services by changing the Startup Type of the World Wide Web Publishing Service to "Automatic (Delayed Start)". This should ensure that other services (including SQL) completely start up first before IIS is started.

We've not had any problems with it since.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft