Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Perry 5 posts 75 karma points
    May 10, 2021 @ 17:48
    David Perry

I am an experienced programmer, but just started using Umbraco V8 about a month ago. I am using Visual Studio 2017. I am finally done programming everything (including custom surface controller forms, etc) and am ready to publish it live to where it is supposed to hosted on WebWiz. Unfortunately, I keep getting the installation page instead of my home page.

I have went through the Paul Seal video, published the files to a share and then uploaded the file to WebWiz. I also made a backup of my SQL Server database, and restored it to my database on WebWiz. Connection Strings in web.config have also been updated. In fact, if I run my LIVE configuration against this database from Visual Studio then it works, albeit a bit more slowly.

All the examples out there on how to do this seem to be a few years old, and applicable to older versions of Umbraco. Any help would be much appreciated. I will feel as though I wasted the last month of my time if I can't publish this Umbraco website.

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    May 10, 2021 @ 17:59
    Amir Khan

Have you checked the file permissions on the host server? I've forgotten before and run into issues: https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/getting-started/setup/server-setup/permissions

The user is likely different from your local install.

May 10, 2021 @ 19:40
    David Perry

WebWiz doesn't have an option for "Full Control" in their MSP Control Panel, but they do have Read/Write and I set everything to have that (replacing child permissions). Still no luck. Still getting install screen instead of my homepage.

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    May 10, 2021 @ 19:49
    Amir Khan

Maybe ping the host to see if they can add the correct permissions oustide of the control panel. Also, did you actually go through the Umbraco install process when prompted?

May 10, 2021 @ 20:11
    David Perry

I've tried to go through the installation, but after I hit "Custom" it fails. I've also tried reinstalling the files.

May 11, 2021 @ 14:27
    David Perry

At this point I am beginning to suspect this might be more database related. But I could be wrong. I did a publish, but took the connection string out of the web.config, and then did a clean install against an empty SQL Server 2019 database on the host's side. It worked. I then tried changing the connection string to the other host database I have that I had done the restore on from my local copy of SQL Server 2012 Express. I again got the install page. What exactly does Umbraco do in the background in order to determine whether to redirect to the install page?

May 11, 2021 @ 16:12
    David Perry

I think I stumbled upon the answer (Or perhaps I just lucked out!). It was a database issue. DB name, DB User Name had to be the same name on my local copy of SQL Server Express as it is on the SQL Server 2019 onj the hosting account. I had to bring over a few missing files, but all is looking good now. Thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft