Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Erik 6 posts 77 karma points
    May 17, 2021 @ 13:21
    Erik

Update minor version (hosted on Azure)

Hi! I'm using the Umbraco CMS for a website that i've created and it's hosted on Azure. I can't really find information on how to update the CMS to the latest version. I currently have version 8.6 and I want to update it to the latest one (8.13). What is the best way to do this?

Thank you!

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    May 17, 2021 @ 19:58
    Marc Goodson

Hi Erik

Your procedure will depend a little on how you installed Umbraco, eg via NuGet, and how you source control or deploy to your Azure environment.

There is general upgrade info here:

https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Upgrading/general

(there is also a version specific guide to check when doing upgrades but spoiler there isn't anything specific from going from 8.6 to latest!)

essentially what I'd do with this kind of Upgrade, if you have a copy of the site you can run locally, I'd take a copy of the live database, use Nuget to upgrade the Visual Studio solution - point this at the copy of the database, visit the site, login and trigger the upgrade, then cross fingers, then google any errors! but hopefully it should all just succeed, then test everything with upgraded solution.

Then I'd know that my upgraded visual studio solution 'works' - so then I'd organise a content freeze, take another copy of the live db, deploy my visual studio solution out to an Azure Web App slot - point it at the copy of the db, run the upgrade again, test and if all ok, swap the slot and remove the content freeze!

regards

marc

• Erik 6 posts 77 karma points
    May 26, 2021 @ 14:34
    Erik

Great, thanks a lot Marc, really helpful!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft