Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Zoki 27 posts 103 karma points
    May 25, 2021 @ 09:32
    Zoki

Umbraco prompts for install after DB deploy

[v8.14-rc]

Hey everyone,

I've deployed Umbraco CMS countless times, but now I've hit an issue that I simply can't solve.

I'm developing locally on SQL 2017, deploying to 2012, so the usual generate script for 2012 has to be done (with schema + data), creating DB on a hosting and running the script.

All goes as expected, but when I start Umbraco locally with new connection string, I get prompted with install page, DB connection seems to be OK.

Log shows:

Umbraco must install or upgrade.

So I guess runtime enum somehow got

RuntimeLevel.Install or RuntimeLevel.Upgrade

which triggers that log, but I simply can't figure out why would that happen.

Any ideas?

• Huw Reddick 1737 posts 6077 karma points MVP c-trib
    May 25, 2021 @ 12:28
    Huw Reddick

Are your user permissions/dB ownership settings the same on both databases? I believe this normally happens because umbraco isn't seeing your tables because of schema name/ ownership issues and will create a new set of tables with a different schema name.

• Zoki 27 posts 103 karma points
    May 25, 2021 @ 15:03
    Zoki

Huw,

thank you, you have pointed me in the right direction.

As you said, I have switched the default schema and set it to [dbo] (btw, locally I was using integrated security).

enter image description here

Even if this seems reasonable, I checked some other older sites and none of the users actually had that schema as default, all of them had default schema as their login name.

So I don't know what is the difference now, but it works, actually, after a change from a screenshot, UI switched from "Install" to "Upgrade", which I've finished and now I can access the site both from local machine and online.

You were right tho, when I previously tried "install" it worked, but it created a duplicated tables with [username] as schema and obviously CMS was empty.

Even if I'm not sure why this works for other sites and not this new one (even if it's obviously some DB access issue), thanks for pointing me in the right direction buddy, H5YR!

• Huw Reddick 1737 posts 6077 karma points MVP c-trib
    May 25, 2021 @ 21:09
    Huw Reddick

glad you got it sorted. The scheme ownership seems to trip up a lot of installs :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft