Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alexander Wagner 30 posts 159 karma points
    Jun 03, 2021 @ 07:43
    Alexander Wagner

Properties not varied by culture still editable in non-master languages.

I'm having a multi language site where some properties have "Vary by culture" and some properties are only able to be edited on master language (English).

I've setup the properties correct i BO:

enter image description here

And when I edit the property on BO in English everything is fine (as expected)

But when I switch to Swedish I still can edit that property even though I only wanted it to be editable in English, and then disabled in the other languages

If I save the Swedish page and go back to English the value in that property has changed to the "about us"-page (but the English one)

Have I misunderstood what "Vary by culture" means? I want some properties (like images for example) to only be editable on the master language and greyed out and not editable on the other languages.

This is on an Umbraco 8.13.0-site.

EDIT: Tried upgrading to 8.14 but still same problem.

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jun 03, 2021 @ 07:48
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Alexander,

Do you have the same issue for the Header Image ? I see that is not set to vary by culture ?

Dave

Jun 03, 2021 @ 07:51
    Alexander Wagner

Hi Dave.

I have, unfortunately. I had a look at this post as well: https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Fundamentals/Backoffice/Variants/ and made sure that every language has English as fallback

But that only made them inherit all the non-"vary by culture" properties but I could still edit them in the other languages (and that edit would change the value on all languages).

Jun 03, 2021 @ 08:28
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Alexander,

This seems like a bug to me. In earlier versions non variant properties were only editable in the default language. In other languages they were disabled.

Dave

Jun 03, 2021 @ 08:35
    Alexander Wagner

Ah, found the culprit. We have "Our.Umbraco.Matryoska"-nuget package installed so we can have nicer tabs in BO and when I uninstalled it everything worked just fine.

I'll contact Søren Kottal to let him know about this error.

Edit: And now I see that tabs are coming back either way: https://our.umbraco.com/packages/backoffice-extensions/matryoshka-tabs-for-umbraco-8/

But hopefully some-one else will have the same problem with this package and find this thread useful :)

Jun 03, 2021 @ 08:40
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Alexander,

I don't think it's related to Matryoshka. I just used a blank Umbraco install and can reproduce it.

In 8.12.3 it works as expected. but in 8.13 the problem occurs.

Will raise a issue on the tracker.

Dave

Jun 03, 2021 @ 08:53
    Alexander Wagner

Thanks Dave for your help!

Jun 03, 2021 @ 08:55
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Alexander,

I raised the issue here : https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/issues/10379

Dave

• Arjan H. 221 posts 457 karma points c-trib
    Sep 29, 2021 @ 09:53
    Arjan H.

I was experiencing the same issues on 8.16.0. All non "vary by culture" properties were still editable in the non-default languages. On the front-end only the values from the default language were used, so it was only an issue in the back-office. These issues were fixed after uninstalling Matryoshka v0.7.0. So this package does somehow interfere with the vary by culture settings.

I've double checked by reinstalling Matryoshka and the issues immediately reappeared.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft