Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Scott Swiger 6 posts 86 karma points
    Jun 03, 2021 @ 19:08
    Scott Swiger

Content save error after migrating users

As part of migrating our site to Umbraco V8, we needed to copy backoffice users from our staging database to the new V8 database. I did this via SQL, taking care to preserve the user IDs in umbracoUser table.

However, now when attempting to save any content item, I get the following SQL exception:

"System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): The UPDATE statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY constraint \"FKumbracoNodeumbracoUser_id\". The conflict occurred in database \"Umbraco-Prod-Final\", table \"dbo.umbracoUser\", column 'id'.\r\nThe statement has been terminated.

As I understand, this error occurs when the PK ID changes, and no longer matches with the FK ID. However in my case the PK ID does exist in umbracoUser.

I tried changing the nodeUser ID in umbracoNode table to NULL, 0, and the ID of the logged-in user (which matches the ID in umbracoUser table). None of these made any difference.

I am assuming I did something incorrectly when copying the users to the new database.

Any ideas or suggestions of how to resolve this issue?

Jun 08, 2021 @ 15:23
    Scott Swiger

No replies or suggestions? Can anyone at least point out where in the Umbraco source code to find the SQL statement for updating content?

• Mehmet Avcı 55 posts 240 karma points
    Jun 10, 2021 @ 12:32
    Mehmet Avcı

Hi Scott,

Just a wild idea, have you tried same with a new BO user, instead of using imported ones?

Jun 18, 2021 @ 00:13
    Scott Swiger

@Mehmet, thanks for the suggestion; yes, we did try creating a new user, that didn't work either.

The issue appeared to be a difference in identity ID of the system user between our two databases; it was 0 in one, and -1 in the other. Once we recreated our umbracoUsers data with the identity which matched all related tables (ie umbracoNode), then we were again able to save content.

I'm not able to mark my own post as the solution, but this was it.

• Mehmet Avcı 55 posts 240 karma points
    Jun 18, 2021 @ 10:31
    Mehmet Avcı

Hi Scott,

-1 is actually a magic number there. That is the root user. If there is no user with id "-1" all crumbles down.

So actually you have found your problem there :)

Best,

Mehmet

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft